• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

build a dream xj, what would you build

poomero

NAXJA Forum User
So I am in the middle of trying to find a 99 xj to start a build. I just move to the Portland area and I want a xj daily driver and weekend wheeler. How would you build it for the PNW? What is a must have for the terrain out here and what can be skipped. I will not be doing a ton of rock gardens and no mud pits. The wife likes to go fast on the beach but I like to crawl also. We will also be camping out of it a lot and doing service roads. It will act as a chase truck/home base when I am adventure riding with friends. I know this can go a lot of ways but any input would be great.

What suspension
Axels
Tires
Mods to the motor

Give me a list if you were to do it over. I have a good size budget so throw it all at me.

I'm kinda in the same boat but already have a 99 SE model. Soon as my YJ sells I'm buying a 6 1/2" Clayton 3 link with Billstein shocks. Keeping the HP 30 but
With 4.56's sleeves, gussets, alloys and a Grizzly locker. The rear I plan to switch to a Dana 44 with also 4.56's and a zip or ARB locker. (Pending specfab still has the 44 by then) Also other things like sliders,Warn HS9500, Tera 2low and Ruffstuff covers.

I'm starting a build with the OP described needs, kinda. I want to go fast and play in the sand but enjoy the trails of the Cascades. So the build overview specs are 85 XJ, 5.5" lift rear suspension(HD springs) for go fast, HD shackles and 6.5" front springs, planning on 33"-36" tires. Radius long arm front. So much for basic suspension, the 4.0/AW4/231 is a great combo, but my drivetrain-GM 5.3/4L60e/D300 or NP241, 14 bolt rear shaved, spool, D44 HP front, Spartan, 5.38 gears but probably 4.88 would be better for if you drive much, I will trailer mine.
Air lockers are nice, I have been wheelin' a Spartan front and a TrueTrac in the rear for years and seldom have wished for anything else and it has decent road manners.
Probably tuck a winch in there like what Torx did, no big front bumper.
Oh and of course a selection of RADesigns Products shifters.

I'm kinda in the same boat but already have a 99 SE model. Soon as my YJ sells I'm buying a 6 1/2" Clayton 3 link with Billstein shocks. Keeping the HP 30 but
With 4.56's sleeves, gussets, alloys and a Grizzly locker. The rear I plan to switch to a Dana 44 with also 4.56's and a zip or ARB locker. (Pending specfab still has the 44 by then) Also other things like sliders,Warn HS9500, Tera 2low and Ruffstuff covers.

Why are you fond of the Clayton 3 link?

Personally for a daily driver 3 to 4 inches of lift. 31's because of availability, Gears a limited slip or a full case locker sliders diff armor and bumpers. Brakes would be a must for me do to the Steepass grade to the cascade mountains I frequent.

I really think about a roof top tent for my mild xj 2.5"and 31's that we use for camping and canoeing. It's closer to the ground and has a roof rack.

Personally for a daily driver 3 to 4 inches of lift. 31's because of availability, Gears a limited slip or a full case locker sliders diff armor and bumpers. Brakes would be a must for me do to the Steepass grade to the cascade mountains I frequent.

I really think about a roof top tent for my mild xj 2.5"and 31's that we use for camping and canoeing. It's closer to the ground and has a roof rack.
Mine is my dd so I'm thinking 4.5" lift and 31's.

I keep coming back to this thread and talking myself out of responding for fear of folks burning me at the stake. Honestly, if I had a good sized budget (that really depends on the person, though) I would get a 4 door Rubicon if they exist or the 4 door unlimited and lock it and call it a day. I see folks on our runs rolling around in the 4 doors and they have almost as much interior room as my XJ and required much less work to run the same trails.

FWIW, if I had to do my XJ again, I would probably do the minimum lift required to get 33's and as much droop as I could. I come from a motocross background so I like uptravel and unfortunately for us that meant 4.5" lift. At 5'5", its a bit of an effort getting in and I catch all kinds of hell every time my wife has to get in.

I think that if you want to play in the dunes you need to build toward that, for trails most anything with lockers will work. You said no serious crawling? Make it fun going fast and the trails & back roads will be no problem. The Jeepspeed guys are still running stockish length lower arms just using drop brackets, they go pretty good in the desert going fast. I see too many trail builds thinking they need extreme flex, I don't get it. I've seen close to stock XJ's(~3" lift) do the trails just fine with one locker, two is better of course. But if you want fast fun you need a little more travel.

Until just this last summer my Cherokee setup was. 4 1/2" lift with drop brackets, Bilstien 5150 10" travel 255/70 valved shocks and 31's. Was great in the dunes and on the street. Even now with the 33's it's a great setup, but with the years of pounding the hell out of the lift in the dunes have taken its toll. That's why I'm doing a reboot and replacing everything but the tires soon.

Until just this last summer my Cherokee setup was. 4 1/2" lift with drop brackets, Bilstien 5150 10" travel 255/70 valved shocks and 31's. Was great in the dunes and on the street. Even now with the 33's it's a great setup, but with the years of pounding the hell out of the lift in the dunes have taken its toll. That's why I'm doing a reboot and replacing everything but the tires soon.

Yep, my plan is to pound on it til it falls apart then build a buggy. But reinforce everything to increase its life as long as possible.

Back