• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some help planning out my axle set ups.

Currently running 33s with 4.56. Pretty nice environment. Will be going to 35s, and staying with 4.56s, but I also have a stroker to make up that difference on highway, and 4:1 to make up for it off road. Without the stroker, I'd suggest 4.88 with 35s. But, do you really want 35s for a mostly DD? the price difference between 33s and 35s might convince you otherwise.

I'd also agree about selectable lockers front and rear. You couldn't pry the ARB lockers out of my cold, dead, fingers.

David Bricker / SYR

I won't be DD'ing it for much longer. Another year or so. And my 33's have about a year of life left. If I was going to keep it as a DD id stick to 33's

I wouldn't recommend a truetrac in the front... unless you're also planning on a spin free kit as well. I started with a TT in front and am speaking from experience. The trouble is they work very well and start tightening up at the slightest difference in bias. I got tired of fighting the steering wheel for every mile and ended up pulling it out in favor of an e-locker. If you had hubs, or an older cad axle then I think it would work well.

go get an 8.8.

if you are going to put 35"s on it gear it to 5.13.

put a selectable locker in the rear and any other full case locker in the front.

I can't disagree on the 5.13 call, except that i don't trust the 5.13's for the HP30 yet.

So my endorsement would be on 4.88's.

the locker discussion seems pretty flushed out and you had the right idea from the start. if it were me, i'd be looking at TruTracs or more likely Motive Grip Pro's which are the same concept at a lower price.

I can't disagree on the 5.13 call, except that i don't trust the 5.13's for the HP30 yet.

So my endorsement would be on 4.88's.

It's the same pinion as the 4.88 with a different tooth ring. same contact patch, etc.

so if you trust a 4.88 gearset you should trust a 5.13 gearset equally...

except that knowing that the 5.13 gearset will actually do better since the ratio is better, giving the pinion greater mechanical advantage and making it less likely to fail.

It's the same pinion as the 4.88 with a different tooth ring. same contact patch, etc.

so if you trust a 4.88 gearset you should trust a 5.13 gearset equally...

except that knowing that the 5.13 gearset will actually do better since the ratio is better, giving the pinion greater mechanical advantage and making it less likely to fail.

Hearing you defend it with specifications makes me suspect it that much more. ;)

Changing one gear without changing the other makes me wonder what the ring gear strength will be like. Most dana 30's i see break ring gear teeth off, not pinion teeth.

Hearing you defend it with specifications makes me suspect it that much more. ;)
:heart:
Changing one gear without changing the other makes me wonder what the ring gear strength will be like. Most dana 30's i see break ring gear teeth off, not pinion teeth.

i've long held the belief that if you are breaking D30 gearsets you need more than a D30. if the only thing keeping the axle alive is a numerically lower gearset, its time to move on.

either way I doubt the OP would have issue with the 5.13s.

Back