• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Storage for the next 1.5 years.

Crabapple

NAXJA Forum User
I'm about to put my Trail Rig in storage up in Ohio for the next year and a half for my deployment. What all should I do as preventative maintenance to protect it? It will be ran about once every other week for short periods to keep it running.

I know its a trail rig but I would probably give it a real good cleaning. Get any muck off, and get the interior as clean as you can. That way it doesn't smell weird when you get back.

A year and a half is not too long. I would just make sure it has a full tank of fresh fuel, new anti freeze, put it up on jackstands if you have bias ply's, and disconnect the battery. Today's fuel is good for a long time, so no worries there, just don't want room for condensation in the tank. I just revived an 85 toyota that had been sitting for 5 years. Fuel is still good, but it had about half a tank and the inside of the tank is rusting bad. Have had to clean out fuel filters several times. By the way, if you are out in the middle of nowhere, you can fill your mouth with water, and then blow it into the carb side of the filter. Do this about 10 mouthfuls, then blow a few breaths of air through it to get most of the water out. Voila, new filter ready to go...

Why don't you bring it on over here, no storage costs and I'll take real good care of it for ya.:firedevil

But seriously you live in NC it'd be easier, closer, and not to mention cheaper than paying for a storage unit.

Storage in Ohio = Grandfathers heated garage/shop.
So it's free and he'll take great care of it.

While being in Korea for a year, I just had the wife start it up once a month and let it get up to temp. i never prepped anything & it was fine when I got back. Just my .02.

if you let it get up to temp and then run it for 10-15 min. there won't be enough condensation to make a difference. when you get back, just change the oil to be sure.

i bought a 96 thats been sitting for 2 years and the guy says it doesnt run because the fuel pump went bad from it sitting for 2 years.
do you think thats true or not and what would i need to do to get it running again???

96 cherokee classic
4.0 HO
120,000 miles
everything on it seems to be workin fine but for some reason it wont start up
i cleaned out the fuel filter at school and put some new gas in it and tried to fire it up but no luck.

i really hope i can get it running soon because im planning to sell my rig/dd this week so if i cant get it running by this week i'll be SOL!!

ps, hell ya brother! im from new mexico too!

back on topic: Buy a set of cheap stock tires from a junk yard. Even good radials can take a set over time.

heh luckly I'm not worried about the tires. Mine only have about 20-30% and are going to be promply replaced by 33s when I get back. Thanks for all the advice guys!

Back