• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Candidates for office

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
I am creating this thread in the hopes that the candidates for each office in this chapter will post some kind of statement as to their willingness, available time, desire, qualifications (besides being a terrorist!, LOL) to fill one of the 3 offices. Never mind the nominations, we want to know who you are, experience if any, available time, etc., and if you are willing to take on one of the three offices.

So if you are interested in being an officer, and you are elligable, and if we have not heard much from you yet, then now is your last chance to speak up!

You guys that we have heard a lot from, that have been moving this process along, (like Goodbourbon.......) might want to make a breif a statement here as well for the benefit of the recent new comers so they will know who you are and what you have been doing already (which is considerable for several of you) to get this chapter formed, as they may not take the time to read all the older threads here, but they may be voting!!!!

If the new bylaws will permit it I would like to be an area representative from Deep South Texas (DST). As I stated elsewhere on here since we have such a large area within out proposed chapter we should have reps from the different areas so every area has a voice. I suggest I can represent as far North as Sinton and as far West as maybe DelRio. I know that the bylaws are not yet written but I thought this might be the place and time to bring up my little suggestion.
Mike

BIgDaddyChia said:
Did we ever decide if there were 3 officers and 3 bod members or just 3 officers who are also bod members.

Gooburbon decided that there would be three officers (which there has been no disagreement about) and that the 3 officers would be the 3 BODs (but I don't recall any major agreement from the crowd on that part) but I do recall Ramsey saying something about "the more the merrier", but I don't think he ment that for the BODs, LOL.

Way to use a quote out of context mr politician

:D

This is our inagural year, and I don't feel that we should make ourselves top heavy, We don't really have a need for officers like national. If you would like something to happen make a motion to the BOD, have it seconded and it's up for consideration.

The lions share of the work is apparently moderating the forums which the BOD will do, and if the job becomes too much we can add moderators.

We are all under the National BOD and a major benefit formation of a chapter gives us is national representation. The chapter BOD's main function is to make sure that the chapter business is conducted in the proper fashion and to keep their fingers on the pulse of the chapter, addressing needs and suggestions of the members. This won't be a dictatorship by any stretch of the imagination. Everyone who wants to contribute something to this chapter will find something that they can do at some point.

In our first year I see us Getting our forum and setting up a local for sale/wanted forum etc, adapting a logo, having t-shirts and maybe hats made, having a minimum of 2 outings, beginning discussion of a possible national event, Having a few Meet N greets in the major member population centers and getting to know one another. The members who are local to each other may have wrenching parties. We may put on a raffle to build a Treasury, or we may come up with some other fund raiser. I can't see asking for chapter dues, but we do need to open an account and have a Treasury.

Where we go in the first year will largely be decided by member participation and drive. As it was told to me, remember Everyone here is a volunteer.

Oh and I will have several hours a day I can contribute.

With school out(today) I have too much time, i'm starting to chaff.

As i have said on this topic several times Just give me some direction. And for all our sakes find something constructive for Ramsey to do before he does something bad.

I also think that we can ally ourselves with the TMTC, perhaps adopt a trail or two, and help with volunteer hours. I feel that it is very important that we establish ourselves in the Texas, Louisiana, and OK wheeling community as a group of responsible wheelers who contribute positively to regional wheeling.

Cant say I've ever checked out that link.

There is already a southeast, were not really southwest, but southern we are. Southern chapter?

Ramsey said:
Way to use a quote out of context mr politician

:D

Thank you! It seemed cleaver at the time!:clap:

Well I think that the MWC has the best name for what they are so how about TOL or LOT chapter. For sure not the TLO because that sounds too mhch like PLO and we don't want to upset Ramsey.TOL sounds better so that we don't sound full of ourselves.

I'm not familar with the TMTC you refered to. I belong to Tread Lightly and they are pretty heavy into trail preservation.

Last edited:
Ramsey said:
Cant say I've ever checked out that link.

There is already a southeast, were not really southwest, but southern we are. Southern chapter?

You guys read my mind.

I am thinking it might be worthwhile to go with Texas/Louisiana/Oklahoma chapter just for now so that is clear to every one where we are and what area we cover, so there is no ambiguity, and so no one has to search for the answer as to what chapter they should join. Then if we come up with a great chapter name, we can change it once we have gathered our floc together already.

Not trying to cut off any great suggestions or brainstorming for a chapter name out there but this issue already crossed my mind that it might be best to just list the 3 states adding Oklahoma to the list.

Kinda long but serves the purpose well, TEXAS/OKLAHOMA/LOUSIANA chapter, but the name is unmistakeable. We can shorten it to fit the stickers and hats later that goodburbon suggested somewhere on here.

Thats an interesting option.

While what we call ourselves is not as important as what the actual rules say, if it is in our bylaws it will have to be changed officially by the BOD later. While we've got the thing on the table (Bylaws) lets go ahead and make it complete, rather than amending them and the forum later.

I had been calling it Texla, but with the addition of ok I kept thinking TexLOk (pronounced Tex L'Oak)which doesn't seem to work as well.

BTW how is your edit of the bylaws coming? I am going to be loaded up at work today, and frankly once I saw the Utah Bylaws I abandoned my efforts at amending the national bylaws to fit a chapter.

I Pmed Ecomike about the bylaws and was hopeing to hear from him the first part of next week with a set to proof read before posting them up for general comments and revisions. As of a few minutes ago no word from him but he did say he had some deadlines that were fast approaching at his work.
BTW any luck with getting the Oklahoma members on board to increase the number of people who even know that we are trying to form this chapter. There is a roster of NAXJA members but that would take days to wade through. Was hopeing SeanR would have a list broken down by state that he could forward the Ok names to us. They need to be notified that they will be included in this chapter not the MWC.
Mike

Last edited:
Back