• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yes, it leaks. HELP!

zeroforhire

NAXJA Forum User
1990 Jeep cherokee
Stock AT

Ok... I know these things leak... find one leak, fix it... find another... repeat, repeat, repeat. I get it. I need help with the latest one...

It is leaking coolant. I think I have figured out where it is coming from, I just need help figuring out what to do next. It leaks enough that I have to refill the overflow bottle with about a gallon of water in the morning before I drive it.

Ok... if you are lying under the jeep (the top of your head pointing towards the rear of the jeep... lying 1 foot behind the pulleys... It is dripping from the very left corner of the oil pan. (Bottom of the block, where the block is bolted to the head???) pretty constand drip, drip, drip... even though I am parked with the jeep pointed uphill.

As I was feeling around I noticed the the bolt directly behind the corner (going back towards the rear of the jeep) is missing. Does anyone know what type of bolt that is? (size etc.) I am hoping that if I replace that, it will fix the leak. I am assuming that the gasket has expanded in that corner due to the missing bolt... I could be wrong... but then again, I could be RIGHT.

Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

check your freeze plugs. I had to do them on both my 89's. They were a pain cause you have to take out the intake/exhaust manifold to get to all of them. There are 5 total so if that is it just do all 5 while you are there. There is a dye you can use in the coolant to help pin point it too. One not if it is the plugs...When installing them make sure to recess them into the block a little bit or they WILL back out...and you have to do it all again.. yup go ahead and ask how I know that bit of info.....
This is my 4 door plugs...Did a head gasket and found this gem....you can see the bad one. Rear one....
100_0922.jpg

and new happy freeze plugs in my rig. You can see how the dye really shows up. This is after I had put in the plugs but I hadn't cleaned off the dye yet.
HPIM1501.jpg

Oh and if you have a cracked exhaust manifold you can take care of it at the same time...I took advantage of my situation since mine was well beyond cracked..
100_0921.jpg

I can not see any missing bolts.. Get a pic with less to no glare if you can then put it in photo shop and circle the area you are talking about. But that is very close to the front so it may be the water pump. I would see if there are any members in your chapter that may be close enough to come over and take a look. I would but thats a bit of a drive.

Back