NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old December 29th, 2004, 18:06
NAXJA Forum User

Removing Stock Tape Deck

I have a 97 cherokee country and I'm in the process of installing a new cd player. What is the trick to removing the old tape deck and installing the new cd player. How do I get that sucker outta there? Also, on a scale from 1-10 how hard would u rate this install?
thanks,
j.minze
Old December 29th, 2004, 18:13
I Jeep, therefore, I am..

Re: Removing Stock Tape Deck

Just grab the lower corners of the trim bezel, and pull back and up. If you have an auto, move the shift lever back so the bezel clears. It's all held together with spring clips. Once the bezel is out of the way, removing the existing deck will be self explanatory....

Ivan
Member #133

Kleptomaniacs help themselves, because they can't help themselves......
Old December 29th, 2004, 18:56
NAXJA Forum User

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...PDF/533001.pdf

could it be any easier?
Old December 30th, 2004, 19:23
NAXJA Forum User

Yeah you should probably be able to do it in about 30 min. I even used the bracket that the origional radio was in. I jsut have the basic black sony cd player I swear if fits in there so nice that it looks like it could have come stock. I had to put some spacers behind the two screws that hold the bracket in to make the radio "come out" of the dash a little more, then i could fit the clip on face bezle on to give it a really clean look.

Of course after I look it seems your 97 is a little differnet then my 91. Still it should be easy
Old December 30th, 2004, 19:52
NAXJA Forum User

Ok, I installed my cd player and everything but it appears as though there is a lack of support. At the top of the cd player there is a gap from the weight of the cd player pulling on the spacer. The CD player came with a metal piece that screws into the back, but im kinda unsure on how to do it to where it will provide support to the cd player. Anybody know what to do?
Thanks to everybody that posted help.
j.minze
Old December 30th, 2004, 20:02
NAXJA Forum User

I just did this last week - New CD player, came with some sleeve of metal, and then I got a kit to install it into a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep whatever.... It came in a purple and clear bag - so maybe you have the same kit?

I only used the two screws on the front to secure my player to the dash. But before I screwed it in, I made sure that the CD player and the plastic spacing all around it were good and tight. Did you get the kind that has all of the metal triangles? You need to bend those against the plastic housing to make it tight. Also, it came with little rails, and I used those anyway, even if they didn't exactly fit. The last little metal bracket you're talking about shouldn't be needed to get things tight.
Old December 31st, 2004, 08:57
NAXJA Forum User

On a 1 to 10 basis I give it a 2. Really easy.
Old December 31st, 2004, 14:00
NAXJA Forum User

Yeah, Its the same kit, and i pulled the metal things back and whatnot, but the cd player still seems to sag a little bit. There is a small gap between the the top of the black spacer and my dash. I'll figure something out though, thanks for all ur help fellas.
j.minze