• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tail Lights all goofy

Vanquish

NAXJA Forum User
Got pulled over tonight for my tail lights being "not as bright as other peoples" (Worded exactly like that from an Officer...:rolleyes: )

Anyways he was right. My tail lights are much dimmer than they used to be. They also flicker, from dim to much dimmer, and sometimes even flicker off. Both sides do it at the same time and also the license plate light.

I really don't know what to think here...

I'm going to check voltages and everything tomorrow, just hoping that someones knows something or this has already been discussed and I missed it. Any info appreciated!

Sounds like a grounding problem. This of course is assuming that your alt. is producing correct voltage and your battery is good.
Make sure your body/frame is grounded to the battery and the engine is grounded by the strap on the back of the engine.

Ditto to Sig220
I wouldve said that theres corrosion on the bulb connections however it makes it more of a common problem with the issue spreading across the entire rear of the vehicle. Id check your grounding also. Reall id start at bettery connections/ condition of battery, then ground connections. Perhaps there should be a connector that is common to the rear of the vehicle. I believe its along the doorjam , under the plastic threshhold. PROBABLY behind the plastic rear panels in the cargo area.I know there are conenctors in that space.You have to pull a few screws out and pop it off the wall but thats also where i tied in my trailer lights so i know the wires are there.

I know that was long winded but id start with the battery/alternator being sufficient.
Then check grounding straps and wires for connection/ corrosion. Wiggle them, dont just eyeball it.
Then look for a common connector. It may be loose or corroded also.

Good luck.I hope i muddied it up enough for you.

As stated above, there are several electrical bulkhead connectors behind the driver side quarter panel. If the the wheel house has rust holes in it you can be assured water has gotten to them. The connections tend to turn a greenish/white paste after awhile.

Slo-Sho said:
As stated above, there are several electrical bulkhead connectors behind the driver side quarter panel. If the the wheel house has rust holes in it you can be assured water has gotten to them. The connections tend to turn a greenish/white paste after awhile.
I would start here first. If the battery connections where bad you would have much more problems showing than funkey rear lighting.

Back