• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 bearing replacement

JohnJohn

Member #42
My neighbor just bought a 96 with 68k and there seems to be a bearing noise coming form the rear. The sound kinda goes away while rolling down the highway, and I drop it into "N". Only under load, and it definately in the rear.

Anyway. Iv'e never pulled apart an 8.25. They are c clip right? Pull carrier bolts, drop the ring gear and carrier out, pull the clips and pull the shafts...right?

no need to pull the carrier to get the clips. you do have to pull the cross pin out of the carrier before you can get the axleshafts out though. just be careful unbolting the retaining bolt for it, it tends to round off.

JohnJohn said:
sorry...outside bearings. I wasn't sure if I had to pull the carrier to get to the c clips.
Duh, John, you can't pull the carrier without pulling the c-clips first then pulling the shafts.

mbood82 said:
no need to pull the carrier to get the clips. you do have to pull the cross pin out of the carrier before you can get the axleshafts out though. just be careful unbolting the retaining bolt for it, it tends to round off.

If I can get to the clips without pulling the carrier bolts, why do I have to pull the cross pin just to get the shafts out?

The cross pin keeps the shafts from moving inward. In order to remove the c-clips the shafts must be moved inward.
Before the axles are pushed in...
70e2z6.jpg

Axles pushed in exposing the c-clips...
70e2p3.jpg

Make sense?

Frank Z said:
The cross pin keeps the shafts from moving inward. In order to remove the c-clips the shafts must be moved inward.
Before the axles are pushed in...

Make sense?
Please tell me you didn't just disassemble a third of you axle to prove a point.

John, everything FrankZ said is true.
Beware, though, if you pull the carrier, you'll have to reset the backlash.
To do so, you'll need special tools to turn the adjusters. Trust me, the spanner way sucks.
Do a search for the tools and a thread with pics of them will popup.

Of course not! That would be stupid! I took it apart cuz I need some spare change and couldn't find any between the sofa cushions so naturally I looked EVERYWHERE. :laugh3:

The pics are from when I changed out my 3.55's for 4.10's.

As far as the adjuster tool is concerned, 1-2 minutes with a spare 32mm hub nut, a steel rod and a small nut on the other end.... and bada-boom you got yourself a fancy adjuster tool.

Back