• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd auto to 4wd manual conversion guidance.

91Heep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 model 2wd that I am converting to 4wd using a '91 model with AX-15.
I am stripping down the the '91, I know all the hard parts that I need, I bought a used front axle with 3.55 to match the rear axle under the '94 as well.

I'm just wondering if there is any wiring that I need to remove under the donor?
Could use some help on what to do for the reverse and neutral safety wiring?
Also is it do able to have the part time indicator on the dash of the 2wd?

I have searched and there is some great info on later models, but I didn't come across much information for the 91-96....

Biggest thing I can think of is if you're front axel is vacuum disconnect or not, I think 91-92 we're the last years for xj, 91s transfer case can have a vacuum port switch that would engage the axel disconnect, later transfer have a switch you plug in to

So many have added 4wd to 2wd I almost bet all the wiring is there just needs to sorted out and maybe a bulb put in the indicator. But I don't know for sure.

Unless it's like the ac option where if you didn't get it factory youre screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm clear on the disconnect deal, the '91 I have doesn't have it,
Nor does the front axle I purchased.
Your input is still appreciated. :cheers:

Sounds like you've got it all in hand, only thing I've read about was extending the wire for speedometer and then there the reverse lights and NSS bypass

Only thing I can't figure out is if the 2wd harness has a plug for the indicator light. I've seen people who never could get the light to work and others who seem to indicate everything works after there conversion.
But mechanically it sounds like you've got it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there was a plug on my 88 for the np242 but i had 4wd to begin with. it looks like it was bundled with the transmission electrical connector.

the manual shows that it may not have the wiring at the transmission but you may just have to swap the harness.

I haven't thought to look at the underhood harness plugs for the trans.
I'm thinking that some of it will go to the TCU under the dash.
If there is a seperate harness for that, then I may have some success by just plugging in the manual harness....
Sounds too easy, prob not going to work.
We will see when I get off in the morning and get the manual trans installed.

The indicator on the dash is switched on via a ground signal from the t-case. The wiring is all there as well as switched ignition power. All you have to do is run a wire for the ground to the t-case switch (I can get you which color wire at the left hand instrument harness plug that you need to tie into).

The indicator on the dash is switched on via a ground signal from the t-case. The wiring is all there as well as switched ignition power. All you have to do is run a wire for the ground to the t-case switch (I can get you which color wire at the left hand instrument harness plug that you need to tie into).
That would save me some time and be much appreciated.

Well I tried to get somewhere.
The pilot bearing has a .055" difference between the two years.
Had to order the correct one.
Whenever I get a day off I'll try again

That would save me some time and be much appreciated.

I will get it tomorrow....Jeep is in the barn torn apart (so easy to identify the wire that you need to tap) but its 29 degrees out and I am not feeling it right now, sorry. I think its grey/red.....I will get the exact color tomorrow.

Ok so, I'm in a pickle with the pilot bearing.
The jeep and engine are 1994 year model.
Pilot bearing specs:
Bearing diameter is 1.000" even.
Shaft diameter is 0.75"

The 1991 pilot bearing is:
Outer diameter 1.055"
Bore size is .5934"

So I need one that is 1.000" outer diameter and something close to .5934" bore size but can't find one

Well that's actually the other way around.
I have an internal slave trans going into an xj meant for am external slave.
Probably not a popular swap.

I appreciate you taking time to try to help me.
Someone hooked me up with a part# PB-2001295 from Novak adapter.
It's an adapter bushing for later cranks using an 88-91 AX-15.
Was costly for what it is ($48) but will help me move forward here.

Back