• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231J rebuild

shawnhancel

NAXJA Forum User
Im sticking this over here, not modified, cause Im curious about the need of a press. I bought a 2nd 231 to do a SYE, 6 gear, wide chain, 2 Lo kit. But I don't have a press at home, I do at work where I can go do this, but who wants to be at work when they don't have to be. So, can I do a master rebuild (the G2 kit) and change all my bearings with just hand tools? Or any special tools? Thanks!

I am not familiar with the 2 Lo kit. However, there is nothing to press in a stock 231. The only two special tools required are a GOOD pair of lock ring pliers and a blind bearing puller for the needle bearings that are pressed into the front and rear case halves. The front output and rear output shafts can be tapped out with a punch and reinstalled with the same tools, though you may find a bearing driver helpful. Its also helpful to have a good clean wide surface to work on. Lock ring pliers are not the same as snap ring pliers. The transfer case components are largely held in place with lock rings. Oh, and you will also need a 12 point, 13mm socket for one of the transfer case bolts on the top.

OK, I watched a bunch of videos but nobody actually pulls out the bearing. One guy mentioned beating one out with a hammer or a small grinder. Doing a lot here so I don't want to mess it up.

Probably because very few people have the tool and the bearings are usually fine. I think O'Rwilly's has it. Auto Zone and Advance do not, at least in my area. I changed the front and rear output shaft roller bearings because they were questionable. But saw no reason to change the needle bearings that are pressed into the case halves. Your SYE instructions should tell you most everything you need to know. I'll add that you want to be careful about RTV around the oil pump tabs. If RTV gets squeezed down between the case and the tabs the oil pump can sit crooked which can take out the oil pump seal. Once you have this job done you'll probably be surprised how easy it was.

Back