• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Thermostat brand for 96' Jeep Cherokee 4.0?

streetxj

NAXJA Forum User
I've already received the mopar TPS from wermopar.com (huge difference in quality compared to the POS cheap duralast..), now the next thing to tackle is the thermostat. Should I go with the stant superstat 180 degree thermostat or get a mopar 195 degree thermostat from the same site I ordered my TPS?

I live in south florida where it is hot and humid most of the year, so I'm thinking that a 180 degree thermostat would be better for me.

I've read that alot of people run with the 180 theromstat and love them. But I've also read that you should stay with the stock temp rating thermostat. I can't remember exactly why that is, but I recall it being a really good reason and that's what I'm going to do.

I've read that a lot of people run with the 180 theromstat and love them. But I've also read that you should stay with the stock temp rating thermostat. I can't remember exactly why that is, but I recall it being a really good reason and that's what I'm going to do.

The computer is programed for the 195 degree thermostat. A 180 degree thermostat doesn't increase the engine's cooling capacity, it just opens earlier, causing the computer to 'think' the engine has not fully warmed up.
Try a STANT Part # 45359, 195 Degree Superstat. I get them at Rock Auto.

Like was said it does really make a difference, the engine will still run at the same temp. I've run both, I've had the 180 for awhile now. If you want it to run cooler get an aluminum radiator or a heavier duty rated fan clutch, running LeBaron hood vents help a bit too at low speeds like when wheeling in the rocks in 4Lo.

I buy plenty of aftermarket parts, but the thermostat is one thing I buy ONLY from Jeep. And they're only a buck or two higher than the others.

Never had a failure with a Mopar stat in 38 years of wrenching. I can't say that about other brands though, including Stant.

195 degrees is the correct choice for the stat for the vast majority of 4.0 engines.

Mopar or Robert Shaw at 195*.

One thing to keep in mind is that there needs to be an air bleed in the T-Stat. If the one you purchase does not come with one, one can be made simply by drilling a small (1/8" or less) hole in the T-Stat. Install the T-Stat with the air bleed at the top so it can function properly.

T-Stats from the factory come with the air bleed built in. Most, is not all, aftermarket ones do not.

Back