• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 CAD to non-CAD?

1987Comanche

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to remove the outer & inner axle shaft on the RH of the Dana 30 CAD (1990 4.0) and replace them with a 1 piece axle shaft from another Dana 30, say a Select-Trac equipped XJ with a non CAD Dana 30?
If this isn't possible are there any negative side effects to moving the slip ring to the engaged position permanantly (vibration, excessive wear, etc). I'm not really looking to do an entire axle swap at the moment but would like to make the 4WD work again.

It is possible. You install a blockoff plate on the actuator port and install a seal in the inner end of the axle tube next to the carrier. A search on here should find you the part number for the seal.

The easiest way for you right now.. is to just slide the fork over and keep it there. You can use nuts, washers, etc.

I'll search for the seal. Is there a bearing in the axle tube that has to come out when doing the conversion? What's a good donor vehicle for the drop-in RH axle shaft? Any XJ-MJ D-30 without the CAD?

Any '96-up axle shaft. If you're pulling them at a yard, get both axles. The late mod. shafts have larger U-joints. It's a worthwhile upgrade.
If you want a simple fix, pull the actuator motor off the axle, move the fork into the engaged position, and shim it in place with washers. No detrimental wear issues that I've heard of. Should cause no vibration either.(Front DS turns even when disengaged because the left axle shaft is still driving it's side gear, and internal friction will turn the dif. carrier.)

'96 up is what I needed to know. I'll try sliding the ring over 1st and if there are issues I'll grab new axle shafts at the JY.

96 up is the short answer. If you're pulling them yourself, any model with the -242(full time) transfer case and ABS(look for the pump in the engine compartment, and the tone rings on the shafts) will have the bigger U-joints and 1-piece shafts.
And you will have to put an axle seal in that side.

How difficult is it to break a stock shaft with 32 inch tires and maybe moderate trails? Would it be a waste to upgrade to the Chromoly shafts at that point?

Back