• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What weight oil do y'all use? I have a 97 W/ almost 200k Pros&Cons different Weights

Patriotsix

NAXJA Forum User
What weight oil do y'all use? I have a 97 W/ almost 200k Pros&Cons different Weights

Been runnin 10w40 or 15w40 with a bottle of lucas every change so far for better pressure. Not too sure the difference between the two and what the pros and cons are. Can't really get my head wrapped around the pros and cons of these different number oil weights.

Re: What weight oil do y'all use? I have a 97 W/ almost 200k Pros&Cons different Weig

As a general rule, the oil with the narrowest viscosity range is more stable. For the Southeast, 15w-40 should be fine with no need for any Lucas. With synthetics, the oil will be more stable despite a wider range. For example, the synthetic version of Rotella 15-40 is 5w-40 which works fine. With a mechanical gauge, factory specs are 16 at idle & 37 at 1600 RPM IIRC. Too much oil pressure creates drag on the engine, so good enough is good enough.

Re: What weight oil do y'all use? I have a 97 W/ almost 200k Pros&Cons different Weig

Whatever brand is on sale. 10/30 or 10/40 summer and 5/30 winter. 260,000 trouble-free miles so far

Because at - 20° 10w/40 is about as thick as peanut butter.

If I understand correctly, too thick weight oil could take longer to reach operating temps, which could also be harmful. When it is as cold as 20 below, that takes a long time even with an engine block heater.

I also run whatever is on sale. However I only use synthetic in the 2013 WKII. My 96 ZJ (253xxx) and my 01 XJ (155xxx) get dinosaur juice. Of course I only drive the ZJ 6000 miles a year and the XJ about 3000. Twice yearly changes for them.

I've heard that on older engines synthetic can be "too cleansing" and will open up new leaks that the only oil just plugs. Not sure if there is truth to that or it's just and old wives tale. Sounds legit.

I've heard that on older engines synthetic can be "too cleansing" and will open up new leaks that the only oil just plugs. Not sure if there is truth to that or it's just and old wives tale. Sounds legit.[/QUOTE]

one of my buddies had a ford with the 300 L6 in it, roughly 180k switched from conventional to full synthetic, it was leaking at just about every seal on it. I think it cleans everything out, and it more slick, so it can ooze out of an area that conventional cant if that makes sense

Consider the temperatures of where you live, and/or where you might go. Oil-use-charts are readily available in order to meet lubrication requirements of the weather temperatures in your expected reality.

My '89 hates "synthetics" as they seem to want to slide past the 'old' rear main seal, i.e; drip.., drip.., like one every so often, (overnight a teaspoon). "Dino-oil" seems to allow a bit of sludge to find it's way.., and better help in making a complete sealing of that RMS which seems to, (since), only drip a drop overnight.

STORY; Back-in-the-day; I have had simple straight Dino 30 weight gel-up badly at -45 degrees, (the great duh-factor), and prevented starting a '79 Jeep left outside in the Great State of Alaska. (no rotations what-so-ever). Had to put together a small 'smuge-pot' with very rusted bent/straight nails, and thusly filled up with old grease, and motor oil. The rusted nails acted as wicks when lit up with a match. Placing said pot on the snow under the oil pan for about an hour allowed starting. SAFETY NOTE; Even though that great engine had mostly only AMC painted surfaces, (so very little surface oil-muck anywheres), I watched carefully in order to put out any fire that might run-a-way.., and brrrrr.

Mostly I use 5w30 in the winter, and 10w30 in the summer. I usually prefer to use an electrical Moroso oil pan heating pad, (rather than messing around with a freeze-plug installation, blah, blah), but this past year mudding wasted it, and a tree took down my electrical line.., sob.

Follow the advice the previous members have stated.., and you'll be ok.

I live in the south east, I'd say it gets in the teens at its worst here (GA-NC) Home is GA NC is where I'm stationed. I always run Lucas just because it's something I've always done and so has my Grandfather on all his big international work trucks.

Been runnin 10w40 or 15w40 with a bottle of lucas every change so far for better pressure. Not too sure the difference between the two and what the pros and cons are. Can't really get my head wrapped around the pros and cons of these different number oil weights.

On engines with over 200K, I too run Lucas.

What you're doing is fine.

I have 345,000 on my 01 XJ no Lucas, runs fine. Problem with too thick is getting upper end lubrication. It can take over 1 minute for oil to flow up to the upper end. If you are the type that drives off after start, use thinner. If you're going to wait and want higher oil pressure, then thicker may be OK. But you're still metal on metal in low temps... Lucas is snake oil.

Hasta
Use whatever you want. This subject has been discussed many times. A good filter is more important than your oil choice. I personally run Purolator pure one 30001 and rotella 10w30 diesel oil.

Depends on the condition of the engine and the climate and the year it was built/what oil it was and has been using in the past and currently. Down south I use 20W50 in everything. I have used MMO with and with out Lucas in various rigs at times and sometimes just Lucas as additives as well as Restore.

Snake oil is good!!! If you use it right. Temps are about 32-105 F, average about 75-80 F.

I use MMO to free up stuck lifters, clean piston rings. I use Lucas to slow oil consumption on well worn engines and boost idle oil pressure. STP oil additive is good for adding ZDDP to the oil for the cam lobes and lifters. Restore is an awesome product that can repair minor damage in sliding surfaces....I also use it, works great.

Last edited:

And why is that bad? Apparently thicker means higher oil pressure which is good right? I just like to know why and how things work so I can understand it lol.

Depending on the oil and the temps, it can get so thick that the engine won't turn over. Can't remember exactly what weight it was, but a former manager at the last store I worked at had the thicker oil (I'm thinking it was 20w50, but don't quote me on it) in his V-6 F150 like he would run when he still lived in Vegas, but during a cold Chicago winter, that oil turns to a goo so thick that even a good starter and very well charged battery will not turn the that engine over! He ended up getting it warmed up enough to run the heavy oil out behind the store and put 10w30 in it and the thing started up without a problem the rest of the time we worked together.

10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter. Regular oil.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

Back