• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about a Dana 30 High pinion

ZMfx

NAXJA Forum User
My friend gave me a Dana 30 carrier with 4:10 ring attached and matching pinion. The only problem i see is that it is a High pinion model from an 87 or so. I've got a 97 xj, which as far as i know has the standard Dana 30 front axle. So i guess here is the question, can i use it? Possibly just the ring and pinion? or do i have a huge 20lb paperweight. If not, its going on eBay tomorrow

bjoehandley said:
Yours should be a high pinion in that truck, my '98 is. I think they went to the low pinion in '99 or '00, but somebody will probably have to correct me on that.
sounds about right

ZMfx said:
My friend gave me a Dana 30 carrier with 4:10 ring attached and matching pinion. The only problem i see is that it is a High pinion model from an 87 or so. I've got a 97 xj, which as far as i know has the standard Dana 30 front axle. So i guess here is the question, can i use it? Possibly just the ring and pinion? or do i have a huge 20lb paperweight. If not, its going on eBay tomorrow

gears should be alright...i took one from a 98 and am going to dump it in my 91...you should be good to go. If yours is a vacum disconnect then...gears only IIRC...if you DON't have a vacum disconnect...use the whole thing.

Expect it to be loud...the gears will have work-hardened themselves to the old axle and you're going to have them constantly turning but with slightly different tolerances. At least you didn't get used rear gears...right?

hummm interesting. I didn’t know gears could work harden? As for the rear, haven’t gotten the gears for it yet. I was planning on trying to find a used pair, that is if i could. Hard to find used 4:10's in a chry 8.25. If used gears will be loud, or troublesome, I’ll just have to get a new set.

anyone have a labor estimate on having them installed... i don’t have a lot of experience with differentials, better have an expert work on them to get the ring position correct.

ZMfx said:
anyone have a labor estimate on having them installed... i don’t have a lot of experience with differentials, better have an expert work on them to get the ring position correct.

anywhere from $150 to $400. Low end is your friend spending the better part of a day in his garage, and the other is having an overpriced shop take car of it.

Last edited:
ZMfx said:
If used gears will be loud, or troublesome, I’ll just have to get a new set.
Even new gears can be noisy. I had new Chrysler 4.10 put in my 8 1/4 and when you let off the accelerator they wine like a Duce-n-half. After 3000 miles on them, they haven't changed much. From what I'm told, it's not an uncommon problem. Got the gears from Randy's.

rstarch345 said:
Even new gears can be noisy. I had new Chrysler 4.10 put in my 8 1/4 and when you let off the accelerator they wine like a Duce-n-half. After 3000 miles on them, they haven't changed much. From what I'm told, it's not an uncommon problem. Got the gears from Randy's.
For the C8.25, that sounds pretty common unfortunately.

Back