• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Issues after AW4 rebuild

osue077

NAXJA Forum User
I need some wisdom. I had my trans rebuilt about 10k miles ago, not because I had to but because it was out and I am going top to bottom on it. SInce I put it back in, it intermittently slips in 4th around 200-300 rpms. It has gotten hot a few times driving on the hwy and it puked trans fluid once. I keep getting a check engine light for 3rd trans circuit lock up. I can't remember the code number the shop told me but it's tellng me that the torque conv is slipping. THe shop "said" they replaced the selenoid it referenced but that did not fix it. What else could it be? The shop is going to pull it out on Monday to check everything on the rebuild and get another torque conv. Has anyone else had this problem?

Year, make model.....???? did you mean 2000-3000 rpm?

Brake switch (dual DP switch also operates the brake lights, but the lights can still work), that tells the TCU to unlock the TC maybe bad on that side of the switch or a wire to it maybe broken.

Sorry, my bad. 2000 xj sport 4.0 auto

I did replace the brake pedal switch not too long ago to eliminate that as the issue and it did not change anything althought I did not personally check the wires, the shop however said they did. When the trans slips, it is when it locks into 4th around 1700 rpm and the range of rpm in the slip is about 200 rpm (ie it revs to 1900 rpm)

TPS maybe going bad. If the PCM thinks (due to a noisy TPS), that you pressed the gas it may unlock the TC. Check the brake switch to PCM/TCU wiring for damage.

I would also clean and inspect the wiring connectors to the AW4 for dirt, corrosion, loose connections. The third solenoid on the bottom side of the valve body locks and unlocks the TC. It should read about 14 ohms across the coil (while disconnected). Also just for grins try a few Dex III fluid transfusions.

Thank you for the tips. I will check all of this when I get it back from them this week.

There are some real good, more detailed older threads on this topic here!!!!

Back