• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding fog lights

samger2

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ and I'm going to be adding factory fog lights to it. It didn't come with them, but has the cutouts in the lower bumber valance. My question, is it pre-wired for them? I have an empty slot for the switch, but will I need to run wires as well?

Thanks in advance

Im not 100% sure... but i was installing my tow hooks last week, while I had the bumper off I noticed a plug about the middle of the jeep behind the bumper. I had assumed they were for fog lights but it was only 1 plug.:huh:
I know someone will chime in and know for sure.

1997-2001, fog lights are not plug and play. There are some wires for a factory fog light switch, but they dead end behind the dash. You can use the factory switch and install your own wires, fuse, and relay for the fog lamps.

Im not 100% sure... but i was installing my tow hooks last week, while I had the bumper off I noticed a plug about the middle of the jeep behind the bumper. I had assumed they were for fog lights but it was only 1 plug.:huh:
I know someone will chime in and know for sure.
thats not for the fogs.

my 97 came with them, and when i pulled the bumper for the first time i noticed the plug you are talking of. does ANYONE know what its for? ive always wondered but didnt want to make a new thread for it.

x2 I just rolled it up behind the battery when I changed the rad, what can a do with it?!?!

oh and I think you would need to grab a dash switch panel from an XJ with factory fogs. You can not pop out the blank (like in TJ's).

The single plug in the center could be for the temp sensor for the overhead console.

I put OE fogs in mine this summer- I used an OEM switch and modified the pigtail, adding my own relay and wiring to the lights. It was easy, and a lot cheaper than the factory kit. You do need the 3 switch bezel, but I snagged one on ebay for cheap.

The single plug in the center could be for the temp sensor for the overhead console.

I put OE fogs in mine this summer- I used an OEM switch and modified the pigtail, adding my own relay and wiring to the lights. It was easy, and a lot cheaper than the factory kit. You do need the 3 switch bezel, but I snagged one on ebay for cheap.

I think that's what I'm going to do. The local dealer can get the fog light install kit, part number 82204235, but it's $111 list price.

When I added oem fogs to my 99 many years ago there were the lights and then a wiring kit that needed purchased. Can't tell you want all it intailed though, as I didn't do the install.

YES... the connector at the bottom of the radiator support behind the bumper is for the roof console temperature sensor.

When I installed the factory foglight kit about 12 years ago the kit included a section of harness that goes from the foglight switch thru the firewall to the PDC (fuse block) with a fuse holder to connect to the PDC, then another section of harness that connects to the parking light harness and high beam harness under the dash panel (don't do this if you want the foglights on with the high beams) then thru the firewall to a relay installed in the engine compartment and then under the radiator support to the two foglights, a 3 switch bezel and a foglight switch.

Probably 7 years I removed the section of the harness for 12VDC power, the relay and to the foglights so that I could increase the gauge of the wiring for more powerful off road lights and reused the factory relay switching wire to engage the new lights. The factory wiring was 16 gauge to the foglights.

Ugh.

I just acquired OEM foglights for my '99 XJ. Harvested a panel with switch, and was pleased to notice there were wires and even the proper plug (orange, pale blue, purple, black) for it! Woop, woop, right?

388286_10150994024210276_509240275_21701379_566797081_n.jpg

Wrong.

I found out the hanging plug, behind the bumper, passenger's side, and thought I was indeed lucky. Then, to my dismay, I also found out 1) the plug does not match the foglights' and 2) there's only one; nada on the driver's side. So, harness it is. Does anyone remember exactly where the wires go through? It all looks VERY tightly tucked away under the dash. How much dash do I have to remove to pass those wires?

ALSO! WTF is that sphere doohickey behind the right (passenger's) bumper, by which the roof-console temp (?) is hanging?? It does not seem to be connected to anything, it just sits there ominously, drawing my curiosity like a jolly-red-candy-like self-destruct button. I didn't probe it beyond gently poking it with a finger, just in case it is some airbag deployment sensor, or homing beacon for some secret, forgotten joint project of DoD/Chrysler... :eyes:

The Mystery Connector (roof console temp sensor plug?)
384674_10150994024150276_509240275_21701378_86802530_n.jpg

Last edited:
Wrong.

I found out the hanging plug, behind the bumper, passenger's side, and thought I was indeed lucky. Then, to my dismay, I also found out 1) the plug does not match the foglights' and 2) there's only one; nada on the driver's side. So, harness it is. Does anyone remember exactly where the wires go through? It all looks VERY tightly tucked away under the dash. How much dash do I have to remove to pass those wires?

If your Jeep didn't have fogs from the factory, it won't have the PDC or front end wiring. Easy to assemble yourself, no dash disassembly needed, really. I normally pull the knee bolster on the driver's side to run the wire neatly past the column and zip tie it in place, and run it through the rubber grommet on the firewall.

ALSO! WTF is that sphere doohickey behind the right (passenger's) bumper, by which the roof-console temp (?) is hanging??

Vacuum canister? About the size of a softball, with a single fitting on it?

fogWiringDiagram.jpg

Doesn't show all of the fuses, but the power wire to the relay, and the key-on wire are both fused.

Last edited:
Ugh.

I just acquired OEM foglights for my '99 XJ. Harvested a panel with switch, and was pleased to notice there were wires and even the proper plug (orange, pale blue, purple, black) for it! Woop, woop, right?

388286_10150994024210276_509240275_21701379_566797081_n.jpg

Wrong.

ALSO! WTF is that sphere doohickey behind the right (passenger's) bumper, by which the roof-console temp (?) is hanging?? It does not seem to be connected to anything, it just sits there ominously, drawing my curiosity like a jolly-red-candy-like self-destruct button. I didn't probe it beyond gently poking it with a finger, just in case it is some airbag deployment sensor, or homing beacon for some secret, forgotten joint project of DoD/Chrysler... :eyes:

The Mystery Connector (roof console temp sensor plug?)
384674_10150994024150276_509240275_21701378_86802530_n.jpg

Installed the factory foglight kit many years ago...
You are missing a section of harness that connects to the foglight switch which then ties into two wires (headlight actuate and high beam deactivate) inside a bundle beneath the dash then one wire goes thru the firewall to a relay that will power power up a harness that goes to to the foglights. The kit involves two sections of harness and two relays along with a fuse that will connect to the PDC power terminal.

@ Hubs97xj and CharlesS

Interesting! I was about to read through the entire FSM to discover wtf that sphere thing was. Any clue on vacuum for WHAT? I can't seem to find ANYthing connected to the vaguely-Logitech-webcam-resembling thing. Just curious - did I mention OCD?

I am eyeing an original factory harness for the foglights. It looks pretty decent, and might keep things purdy and close to original, as it were.

$%28KGrHqN,%21lkE6B066ZWZBOqckLuTUQ%7E%7E60_12.JPG

Any thoughts on how irritating the install could be?

The plastic ball that is attached to the front bumper on the passenger side is a vacuum accumulator. On my '98 it it is used for Cruise Control and the Climate Control damper.

The harness that you are looking at on EBay appears to be the one that I installed many years ago. The installation is not difficult, but takes a while to route the harness inside the dash panel, thru the fire wall and around the engine compartment, under the battery tray behind the bumper and then tieing the 12VDC into the PDC stud.

..Aaaaaaand the harness arrived.

Unfortunately, the connectors DO NOT MATCH. Is that why there are pigtails extensions??

Urgh!!!

Pigtails acquired, and they bridge the connectors perfectly. W00tz! :woohoo:

Should be installing soon as festivities and associated cluster fn0rk subsides.

The harness contains a spot for the relay. I wonder if it is the same on the fuse box, and if it's worth to rewire the harness into the fuse box, for the sakes of keeping that relay dry and grease-free. Hm.

Back