• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding driving lights to '99 XJ

Bzamora

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for a decent set of rectangular driving lights to add to my XJ. I prefer that they can be mounted in the OEM location inside the bumper end caps and not require anything more than basic drilling of holes or fabricating brackets. I've seen the cheap junk at the local auto parts store but am looking for something that will actually hold up under hard use. Can anyone recommend a solution for me that's relatively easy to install?

hate to offer an option that you didn't suggest, but have you done the headlight harness upgrade? years ago I did IPF glass and I forget what bulbs. slightly better but wasn't satisfied. fast forward to my f150 that I put 4.5" light cannons on, removed for a 20" vision x light bar, then added rigid.SAE duallys in the fog location. it was bright but wasn't usable on lowbeam with oncoming traffic. I then did a D2S 3.0 projector retrofit and have fantastic lowbeam light and even better high beam, but having clear lenses there is an sharp cutoff, so lots of blackness where halogens have a little light scatter.

I then did $20 harness from ebay for the jeep, I ALMOST like the jeep lights better since there is no cutoff and I prefer a warmer kelvin color. If your set on rectangle driving lights, look up Daniel sterns website or give him a call. I've only hear good things abut what he puts together

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I just found these on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Front-Driving-Fog-Light-Assembly-NEW-Pair-Set-for-197-2001-Jeep-Cherokee-XJ/282065798665?fits=Make%3AJeep%7CModel%3ACherokee&hash=item41ac6e8609:g:duMAAOSw6dlZ1G9f&vxp=mtr

It claims they're OEM lights. Do all XJ's already have the harness that goes to them for plugging in as well as for the switch?

Thought you wanted to put upgraded fog lights in your '99. Had I realized you wanted to run OEM type ones would have answered sooner. Did a little write up about putting them in my '00 that did not come with them. Hope this helps.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/factory-fog-lights-00-xj-did-not-come-them-3467146/

I am looking for a decent set of rectangular driving lights to add to my XJ. I prefer that they can be mounted in the OEM location inside the bumper end caps and not require anything more than basic drilling of holes or fabricating brackets. I've seen the cheap junk at the local auto parts store but am looking for something that will actually hold up under hard use. Can anyone recommend a solution for me that's relatively easy to install?

Factory driving/fog lights aren't mounted in the bumper end caps...they mount in the valance panel under the bumper.

Should be easy enough to add if you find the correct valance panel.

You will also need the wiring and switch.

Factory style fog lights suck, they are little more than decoration. You should choose some form of LED lighting or top quality halogen lighting ( Cibie, Bosch, etc. ) instead of the factory style lights.

If a 1997-2001 XJ Cherokee did not leave the factory with fog lights installed, the necessary wiring and relays are not present, and adding them is not plug and play. You will be able to use a factory fog lamp switch in the dash, but you will need to install the necessary wires, relay, and fuse using aftermarket parts.

Rats. Installing cruise control ended being a simple plug n' play, but it looks like I've got some more research to do on the lights.

spend $20 and do the headlight harness, then go from there. are you after light, or usable light when traffic is around? fog lights are pretty much worthless at hwy speed, are are meant for fog, not running around with them on like everyone does. my IPF headlights outshine my el cheapo procomp driving lights. my lighbar is my F you lights for the people with high beams and incorrectly aimed lights, other than that it's pretty useless and after a while in the sticks my eyes start to hurt

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I went with DOT LED headlamps a few months ago. No wiring harness upgrades to do...no plug adapters...no anti-flicker adapters. These were less than $100 for the pair off Amazon. One of the best upgrades I have done in the year I have owned my 99. Absolutley plug n play. Daytime running feature also works perfect with these lamps on my Sport.
Also a 32 inch led bar for off road....lights up my entire pond. Can sit n fish at nite if I want!!! $40 Amazon. Love em both!!!

I went with DOT LED headlamps a few months ago. No wiring harness upgrades to do...no plug adapters...no anti-flicker adapters. These were less than $100 for the pair off Amazon. One of the best upgrades I have done in the year I have owned my 99. Absolutley plug n play. Daytime running feature also works perfect with these lamps on my Sport.
Also a 32 inch led bar for off road....lights up my entire pond. Can sit n fish at nite if I want!!! $40 Amazon. Love em both!!!

Links?

I bought a cheap set of 7" led bars and they fit pretty good where the factory fog lights would go. I bought the spot beam ones and they helped alot, but were tucked back far enough where I wouldn't get flashed by oncoming traffic. like others have suggested doing the headlight harness and good set of h4 housings works great.

Factory driving/fog lights aren't mounted in the bumper end caps...they mount in the valance panel under the bumper.

Thanks, I didn't realize that. I had assumed they fit into what looks like knockouts at the bottom of the end caps. Fortunately I have a spare valance panel on hand so I can cut into it without worry.

I was looking at the aftermarket driving light kits at the auto parts store today, and I noticed they have very simple wiring and don't even use a relay at all. All I'm trying to do is add a little more light so I can see where I'm going on a rainy night. My 2014 Dodge came with driving lights, and they are a godsend when it's really nasty outside.

Thanks, I didn't realize that. I had assumed they fit into what looks like knockouts at the bottom of the end caps. Fortunately I have a spare valance panel on hand so I can cut into it without worry.

I was looking at the aftermarket driving light kits at the auto parts store today, and I noticed they have very simple wiring and don't even use a relay at all. All I'm trying to do is add a little more light so I can see where I'm going on a rainy night. My 2014 Dodge came with driving lights, and they are a godsend when it's really nasty outside.

Not hard to do...I had to do that for my tow hooks as neither of my cherokees came with them from the factory.

I would definitely use a relay and fuses...and beware of the fuse holders & relays they provide with the wiring.....mine started turning the lights on when I washed the truck after about 2 yrs.........had to fix that one right away.

11bc4b9e371595ee0165cf4599e2d514.jpg
Do you have any pics of them at night? On a road and up against a wall? Kinda curious on the what the beam spread looks like and I don't really trust the pics in ad.
276e2e71766bc4ac15125a57a5fc9456.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Back