• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 upcoutry - what parts are desirable

Heavyopp

NAXJA Forum User
So it looks like I just bought a running 98 upcountry -- $300 -- haven't seen it yet -- craigslist -- I want the front dana 30 HP to build and swap into my 2000 -- also has cruise control that I would consider swapping if compatible -- front driveshaft for SYE

What else should I be looking to keep from an Up Country?

Suspension worthwhile if it's good?

Unless you plan on lifting your project vehicle, keep the springs and shocks (if they're still good)

up country simply adds about 1" of ride height over regular standard or HD suspension. Also deletes rear sway bar.

I can't remember if cruise is 100% compatible, you may need different switches for the steering wheel, but the actuator is the same. You'll need the clock spring out of the vehicle with cruise as well. I know 99 and 2000 are the same as I just moved the cruise from my old 99 to my "new" 2000. (my 2000 has upcountry as well, apropos of nothing)

The UpCountry package included 5 full size rims/tires, upgraded gas shocks, +1 inch springs with a higher than stock spring rate, rear sway bar delete, Limited Slip differential, full skid plates, front and rear tow hooks, transmission cooler, HD cooling package.

1997-2001, any optional features are plug and play, except the cruise control. All you would need is the later model steering wheel CC switches (99-01) instead of the 1997-98 CC switches.

Last edited:
Correct on the cruise switches. Can't use in a '00. Something about ohms. Don't forget the overhead console. Will most likely need to repin one connector in the harness. Also the lighted visors on that probably have an internal ground, one wire set up, instead of an external ground that you have which is a two wire set up. I would tell you to use the visors but thinking since a '98 is either Saddle or Mist Gray and an '00 is either Camel or Agate they will not match. Same with the headliner. Of course that can all be recovered. And I am not sure of any of that but it is what I have learned because I am putting a '99 overhead in my '00.

Awesome, just the type of comments I was looking for

Bummer on the cruise needing a 00 switches -- my 00 has no cruise at all

Pictures show interior as grey on the up country -- my 00 is some shade of black

Not sure if the 98 headliner is sagging or not -- my 00 is hanging down everywhere and in need of repair -- was thinking monstaliner

Awesome, just the type of comments I was looking for

Bummer on the cruise needing a 00 switches -- my 00 has no cruise at all

Pictures show interior as grey on the up country -- my 00 is some shade of black

Not sure if the 98 headliner is sagging or not -- my 00 is hanging down everywhere and in need of repair -- was thinking monstaliner

But pretty sure all you need are the switches. I think everything else, clockspring and actuator, can still be used. Easy do to. Just need a steering wheel puller. Can be had as a loaner tool at most auto part stores. Did it on my '00. One thing when you remove the clocksprings from both vehicles make sure the wheels are straight. Then when you pull it out you will see that a hole lines up. Throw a zip tie in there so it stays there till you use it. So color wise Mist Gray in the '98 and Agate in the '00. Despite that $300. Thinking many usable or sellable parts.

Didn't realize a LSD rear diff too -- hope it's a Chry 8.25

I do know that there is no transfer case -- guy said he sold it

I only want to lift my 2000 high enough so the HP dana 30 clears --want to run 33" tires and I have no problem cutting to make them fit -- Was thinking EMU springs and shocks -- Maybe the Up country stuff is usable, at least for awhile while I build up the HP front axle --

I don't know if that's enough or not...

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

What do you mean -- The small EMU lift or the smaller upcountry lift

Remember this Up country just came into the picture today -- Yesterday I didn't even know it existed

I was hoping EMU springs as final lift -- Shackles in the rear if I need more -- Spacers up front -- Here on the forum it's unclear how much lift you need to clear the Driveshaft on a HP axle -- Some seem to work with almost nothing, some say 6" isn't enough

Looking at it again -- looks like I made a mistake -- Cherokee Country -- Not up country -- Is this the same thing or are there 2 different models -- Don'tknow why I had Up Country on my mind...

Only picture with a view of inside ceiling doesn't show an overhead console -- Chance it's just not visible in the picture -- headliner looks good though in the little I can see

Country and UpCountry are two different things. Country was a trim package - usually (if not exclusively) two-tone, like red, green, or black with a champagne panel along the bottom and a matching pinstripe, and matching spoke-style wheels. Had some exclusive interior cues, too.

UpCountry was a beefier off-road package (essentially a suspension upgrade). Not sure what else was unique about it.

The XJ in the ad you posted doesn't look like a Country model, to me. Can't tell from those pics if it has the UpCountry package.

Yea -- I'm thinking the same thing after a little reading -- Upcountry seems to be a grand cherokee package -- ZJ

Anyway -- this is an XJ for those that don't check the craigs link -- although add says 98 country which doesn't seem like jeep even made a 98 country package

So looking at the pictures 1 more time -- there is wood trim on the door panels -- That should be the country package -- Now from what I can find this means it must be a 97 or older -- Jeep didn't make country package in 98 as far as I know

Did any other trim packages have the fake wood trim detail?

Doesn't mean I won't buy it -- I really only wanted the HP dana 30 -- Cruise is bonus as long as it's still compatible -- I did read about the switches

Thing is if it's not 98 as it's listed as I may be able to get it for scrap price -- cash in hand

You have that backwards -- low pinion (LP) axles where introduced in 2000 so the front driveshaft would clear the new exhaust required for new emission standards

I'm looking for the more desirable high pinion (HP) axle found in all previous year XJ's with 96 and up having larger u joints

So looking at the pictures 1 more time -- there is wood trim on the door panels -- That should be the country package -- Now from what I can find this means it must be a 97 or older -- Jeep didn't make country package in 98 as far as I know

Did any other trim packages have the fake wood trim detail?

Doesn't mean I won't buy it -- I really only wanted the HP dana 30 -- Cruise is bonus as long as it's still compatible -- I did read about the switches

Thing is if it's not 98 as it's listed as I may be able to get it for scrap price -- cash in hand

I don't see it in those pictures. That looks like a Sport, to me.

You have that backwards -- low pinion (LP) axles where introduced in 2000 so the front driveshaft would clear the new exhaust required for new emission standards

I'm looking for the more desirable high pinion (HP) axle found in all previous year XJ's with 96 and up having larger u joints
You're right, that's what happens when I try to reply first thing in the AM, I'm sorry

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Back