• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering Pump Recommendations

bjoehandley

NAXJA Forum User
Looks like the P/S pump on my XJ has finally moved into being that of the "Armstrong" variety and right now I literally have pretty much every partshouse possible within a couple miles from home. Anybody have any recommendations as to who to get a pump from?

Here's the truck's particulars;

1998 Limited 4dr 4x4
4.0l/AW4/NV242
No ABS
235/75R15 Goodyear Wrangler Silentarmor tires

And the available parts houses are;
NAPA
CarQuest
Advance Auto
Autozone
O'Riely's

Thanks Guys!

I just used a reman from Autozone. Works just fine . . . responsive, no noises. My thinking was that I didn't want to shell out the coin for a dealer part (just under 3 bills), most local places carry the same reman (usually Cardone), AZ has 'em for around $50 with a lifetime warranty, and I could barrow the pulley tool while there. You might want to pick up a high pressure hose while you're it. When I replaced mine, the old hose developed a hairline crack . . . didn't like being moved I guess. That was a bit of a PITA.

After replacing three rebuilt power steering pumps in less than a year, I gave up and bought a new PSC pump...that was 6 years ago and its still working fine in my DD.
A definite case of getting what you paid for. I do my best to find new parts whenever possible, rebuilts are rarely as dependable.

I'd go Carquest or Napa and heck with the rest. I'll use Autozone, Advance or Oreilley's for supplies or parts when I'm in a pinch (or if I'm buying Moog anyway) but Carquest and Napa carry the better stuff these days.

I sent a text to a buddy that works at a different NAPA, he's going to prive one for me. Dad figured that would be good too, that way if there is an issue that crops up quickly and I get it through his store, I'll have back up if I need to take it back.

Back