• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering pump pulley

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to get my junk yard jewel on the road (1998). I don't know much about the history of this Jeep.

One of the little things wrong with it is that the power steering pulley is too far rearward by about 3/16" or so. What happens is that once the belt is running over the pulley the belt hops one rib over.

I've looked at the pump assembly and looked at the part numbers on the pulley and they match the parts manual.

The FSM doesn't show any way to adjust the pump forward. There is nothing obvious on the pump I can see.

I could stack some washers between the pump and the intake manifold but that would be kludgey.

Any ideas what I can do? I don't think the pulley is damaged... while this particular Jeep was involved in a front end accident wouldn't the pulley have some form of visible run-out if it was damaged during that event?

Anyone have a pic of the pulley off a `98?

TIA

I'd bet the bracket somehow got pushed back a little in the accident. If the pulley had been installed too far onto the pump shaft I doubt there would be enough clearance between the pulley and the pump body.

re

the pump pulley itself move in and out , you need special puller to pull it back out and special tool to push it back in don't shim the pump, do it right that is my opinion

Re: re

explorerxj said:
the pump pulley itself move in and out , you need special puller to pull it back out and special tool to push it back in don't shim the pump, do it right that is my opinion

x2

I had to replace my pump. When I put the pulley on the new pump, I pushed it on too far. The belt didn't jump but it had a "bend" to it. Had to pull the pulley back on the shaft a lil' bit.

BTW, mine's a '98 also.

Re: re

explorerxj said:

You know, you might be on to something there.

Now that I think about it, there is a gap between the flange on the end of the shaft and the shoulder of the pulley itself.

I'll try mucking with it tomorrow.

Back