• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible cracked head?

Well bringing this back. Did the water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing. Still freaking loosing coolant. Oil is still clean and level hasn’t change. I think I’m gonna pull the valve cover and let it run and look for a crack. Idk what else to so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well bringing this back. Did the water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing. Still freaking loosing coolant. Oil is still clean and level hasn’t change. I think I’m gonna pull the valve cover and let it run and look for a crack. Idk what else to do

Pinhole leak in the radiator? Might be hard to spot if the fan is blowing it. Automatic trans fluid look good and not a possible leak in the tranny cooler inside the radiator tank?

Well bringing this back. Did the water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing. Still freaking loosing coolant. Oil is still clean and level hasn’t change. I think I’m gonna pull the valve cover and let it run and look for a crack. Idk what else to so

Better yet, just pull the valve cover and look for a milky tan spot where coolant's been leaking. I wouldn't run the engine without a valve cover on. Best case, you make one heck of a mess, worst case, you ruin the top end.

Luigi,

As I had mentioned to you earlier, my head gasket was lifting slightly under high pressure and dumping coolant into my combustion chamber(i.e. periodic white puffs of smoke in exhaust) and then resealing. My coolant system passed a pressure test and there was no coolant in my oil. The coolant was only getting into the combustion chamber and out the exhaust and the coolant was not getting into the oil system. You need to "bite the bullet", pull the head, pressure-test it and have it mag-particle tested for cracks. If it tests OK, have the head resurfaced and re-installed with a QUALITY head gasket, coat the CLEAN head/engine surfaces with aluminium paint(as used for stoves), torque it, warm it up, and re-torque it (i.e. the original torque setting will have dropped lower). Drive it awhile and re-torque it again. Repeat driving/re-torquing the head several times until the torque setting stays set; i.e. not lower then the inital torque setting.

Best regards,

CJR

Yea I know. Unfortunately I don’t have the time right now to take on the project. I spoke with a shop about putting in an updated head. I just may go that route so I’m done with it and don’t have to worry about the head again.

Back