• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1/4 elliptical rear suspension

Once again, yes they have. I was able to find a couple good threads on them with information on how they did it, and how they liked it. You really should know how to use the search button after all this time.

im not looking for a build thread, just kinda looking to see what people thing about them. i guess i could bring up an old post, or maybe make a new discussion, as this is a discussion board. but ill look to those old posts, thank you begster.

There are threads at the bottom of your page listed as "similar". Start there.

According to one thread... it flexed like the hotness but rode spooky on the highway.

:gee: 1/4 elliptical is ghetto, that’s all there is to it. If you cant afford to fab a 3 or 4 link or dont have the skills to do so you should be running standard leaf springs.

:gee: 1/4 elliptical is ghetto, that’s all there is to it. If you cant afford to fab a 3 or 4 link or dont have the skills to do so you should be running standard leaf springs.

x2 1/4 Elliptical is a joke...

Its the same dam thing! Forget all the elliptical stuff unless youre only going to wheel the XJ in your local trailer park. Then again if youre desperate it might be a good way of picking up girls that have most of their teeth. :gee:

Most of the qtr. elipt. rigs I've ever seen/seen pictures of had full 3 or 4-link setups locating the axle. Nicest one was a 2dr XJ that was set up for (I think) SCORE class 6 or 7 in a magazine a few years ago. Radius arms and a panhard rod. The springs were fixed at the rear of the frame and ran forward and down. As I recall, it was limited to 18-20" of rear travel.

hsughabove.gif

You need a link suspension with a 1/4 elliptical anyway. Maybe you're thinking of 3/4 elliptical?
ughdunno.gif

Its the same dam thing!
It's really not the same at all.

Forget all the elliptical stuff...
How about 1/2 elliptical?
fawk.gif

Billy

This jeep had a 1/4 elliptical set-up(as well as a stroker) and I GUARANTEE it would have spanked any one of your jeeps at what it was made for, I saw it go, it worked. Darren Skilton was driving it at the time, the Nevada 1000 back in 2006. (don't have any pics of the 1/4 elliptical set-up but it had it, and the leaf packs looked $$) they are probably not the most convenient design to set up but to say they are useless...is a ludicrous generalization.

Picture001.jpg

Last edited:
This jeep had a 1/4 elliptical set-up(as well as a stroker) and I GUARANTEE it would have spanked any one of your jeeps at what it was made for, I saw it go, it worked. Darren Skilton was driving it at the time, the Nevada 1000 back in 2006. (don't have any pics of the 1/4 elliptical set-up but it had it, and the leaf packs looked $$) they are probably not the most convenient design to set up but to say they are useless...is a ludicrous generalization.

Picture001.jpg

There is also a bit of a difference between a JS 1600 class and a regular Joe doing a 1/4 elliptical.

There is also a bit of a difference between a JS 1600 class and a regular Joe doing a 1/4 elliptical.

I am not arguing that, but what really defines the average joe? People make it work, as I said it is not going to be a convenient solution for a run of the mill XJ, but to claim they are absolutely useless etc is not really true. I have no desire to run one, but like I said they can be made to work very well......

I am not arguing that, but what really defines the average joe? People make it work, as I said it is not going to be a convenient solution for a run of the mill XJ, but to claim they are absolutely useless etc is not really true. I have no desire to run one, but like I said they can be made to work very well......

An average joe I would consider to be someone who has a basic grasp on link geometry.

I agree with you, that they do preform, I was just trying to point out that there is a little bit more then making some links and welding on some tabs to make a 1/4 elliptical (or any linked suspension for that matter) that can handle well at speeds in the whoops.

anyone ever done it?

Lets see if I can get you started with some places to research. First I ran 1/4 elliptical on my YJ for a few years and IMHO it is the best suspension out there hands down and that is only from my actual experience with it, not just another opinion like you have seen on this thread. :flamemad:My next move on my XJ is to put it under it but want to figure out how to beef the underside up first to support the link suspension.
Now this first place is from the guy who really brought 1/4 elliptic to off-roading his name is Steve and owns Avanlanche Engineering you can get your spring packs and link arms, brackets etc from him or make them yourself. give them a call, they forgot more about it and then everyone else knows.
http://www.avalancheengineering.com/
Great shackles:
http://bluetorchfab.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=18
Great pics of it even if it is on a Zuk:
http://www.rocky-road.com/quarterelliptic.html
Great link for the build and a good look at the 4-link suspension:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466274
Saved the best for last, a good tech articule that will give you more then what you ever wanted to know about 1/4 ellipitcal suspension:
http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/quarterellip/

Last tip, what ever you are thinking of doing to your rig, plug it into Google first and read away, you will hit every site and article on any subject you are looking for, just spend sometime doing it first.
Good luck guy!

Back