• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cargo Area Cover

woodrock03

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

My XJ doesn't have a cargo area cover (does have a cover on the spare). From what info I can gather so far, it appears that unlike the Grand Cherokee's retractable window shade style cover, the XJ's cover is secured by four hooks and straps. Does the cover work with the spare mounted inside (on the left rear quarter), or does the spare have to be mounted outside in order for the cover to stretch across properly?

Thanks

My '87 has the window shade style cover, works with the space saver spare (little donut), haven't checked to see if it will clear a fullsize spare. Shade passes to the right of the donut.

Roller mounts in front, U bend holders on each side right behind the seat to mount the roller. Movable end has been reworked, previous owner used paperclips looped aver screws driven into the trim surrounding the hatch to hold the cover open. Not sure what the OEM set-up was on that end.

JC Whitney used to carry universals, dunno if they still do.

HTH, Cheropair

Interesting that the window-shade style is coupled with the space-saver spare. I wonder if it fits with a full-size spare (like mine) as well?? Anyone know?

My 96 came with the retractable cover and a full-size spare from the factory. The cover only came over as far as the spare.

Where did the retractable cover mount, on the back of the seat?

My XJ had the window shade style with full-size spare. The front attached to the sides behind the seat, pulled all the way back, then hooked behind the tire. Since it doesn't work with my 33" spare, could you use a light tan one? Make me an offer, I'll include the attaching brackets & stuff. I also have the matching tire cover.

lesslimited92 - sent you a pm

thanks

Those of you with cargo covers, do you use them frequently? My XJs never had one but I wanted to build a covered spot for gera storage. Built mine out of 19/32" plywood and grey carpet...

feb24_01a.jpg

Yucca-Man --

Nice work :thumbsup:

use mine all the time. its the retractable window shade style. The only beef I have with it is that the plastic "hooks" that hold it at the door end keep braking off. I've heard though that they no longer sell that type. now all you can get is the style that uses 4 clip/hooks the kit includes a new spare tire cover that has a loop attached to hold the cover up.

Eagle said:
Yucca-Man --

Nice work :thumbsup:

Thanks Eagle. That's an old pic of course; the little-bitty 235 spare is gone and I'm working on building a box to fit in that space along with a pull-out drawer on the left side.

Jim

since we're talking about covers

I just was going to show how I have been making my rear area look and act better.

I need to finish the carpet work, this started as just a stereo box with a cover over what the box didn't fill in the rear. But I have now moved the box up and built the drawer for it, and found a good place for the high lift and shovel, and if you look far enough forward there is a 5 gallon air tank (white item seen only in photo number 3) under there as well. Just showing what I've done, any question or comments are welcome.
jeepback4.JPG

jeepback2.JPG

jeepback1.JPG

jeepback3.JPG

Back