• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tips for separting the transfer case from the transmission once it's unbolted???

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
96 XJ, Rubicon Express 5.5" lift with long arms so it has the belly pan skid plate, etc.

I am parting the thing out and sold the transfer case. I have all six bolts unbolted but it's stuck on the transmission.

To get the top bolts out, I took a sawzall and cut a large hole in the transmission tunnel, worked great, they came off easily from above.

I can pound in a screw driver from the interior in between the trans and t case but the studs are keeping it from coming off all the way, and I can't pry it off from below because of the belly pan skid plate.

I tried jacking it up and down, etc... not working. I also do not have motor mounts installed so the engine and trans kind of wiggle up and down...

ETA wait... is there a bolt directly under the transmission mount??

Last edited:
IIRC, there are 6 studs holding it on. The seal is around the input shaft, that shouldn't be hanging it up.

There is a stud w a nut directly above the transmission mount. Wtf! I'm going to have to drop my whole belly pan skid

When I separated the NP 231 from my AX-15 in the past the only bolts holding the transfercase to the transmission adapter housing were 6 bolts (as ChiXJeff posted).
There could be corrosion holding the transfercase to the transmission...

Back