• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tips for driving manual transmission?

AnthonyZ28

NAXJA Forum User
I just need some general tips.. I can drive with it, but it just feels a little sketchy at this point. How long does it take to get fully adjusted to it? The reason is that I want to put some subs in my jeep but if I cant get used to driving standard, it will be for too big of a distraction. :p I've been driving standard for about 3 days.

give it time,you will get it

Each person is different. If you're talented, you'll get it in a day. Also depends on how much you drive it. Practice is key. It took me about an hour or two but I've read up on the theory and "practiced" when I drove an auto way before I got behind the wheel.

How long until what? Until your not stalling out at stoplights? Or how long until you can proficiently wheel a M/t?

Any other clutch experience like a dirtbike?

My first car was a stick, and once I got it down, i was hooked. I have never owned an automatic, and dont plan to. Ok maybe Ill think about it when I hit 70.

As far as tips: Dont be afraid to let the clutch out, short of dropping it and stallling out/ breaking the tires loose, many new drivers slip the heck out of the clutch.

Dont throw huge tires on there until you are ready to regear, it will make learning more difficult, as well as being hard on your rig.

Dont use GL-5 lube in the transmission, it will eat your synchros.

How long until what? Until your not stalling out at stoplights? Or how long until you can proficiently wheel a M/t?

Any other clutch experience like a dirtbike?

My first car was a stick, and once I got it down, i was hooked. I have never owned an automatic, and dont plan to. Ok maybe Ill think about it when I hit 70.

As far as tips: Dont be afraid to let the clutch out, short of dropping it and stallling out/ breaking the tires loose, many new drivers slip the heck out of the clutch.

Dont throw huge tires on there until you are ready to regear, it will make learning more difficult, as well as being hard on your rig.

Dont use GL-5 lube in the transmission, it will eat your synchros.

How long until I can proficiently wheel it. This is my first time driving anything with a clutch. I caught on to it fairly fast. All I did was drive it up and down our gravel road a few times and I had it for the most part. The problem for me is the stop/going and turning. Luckily I havent stalled it once out on the public roads, (knock on wood) but i've been taking it very slowy at the start. And also, I find it easier to start out in 2nd gear at stoplight. Is that bad? And what do you mean "slip the heck out of the clutch"?

Keep practicing on that gravel road, thats a great place to get the fundamentals down. Keep going over starting/stopping smoothly, this is the most difficult part to learn, just keep at it. "slipping the clutch" means to not release the clutch pedal in a timely manner, causing all the compressed farts in the clutch to heat up, and fly away.

You mentioned starting in 2nd. Is 1st gear too short ( only good for the first 10-20 feet before you shift to second)? or is there some other reason?

M/T takes time to learn if you have never owned anything with a M/T, like a Motorcycle.

Take time to be smooth, quick comes later.

Fortunately, the XJ is a great vehicle to learn M/T on as it has loads of low end torque!

For a smooth start, start in 1st with the clutch in, slip the clutch some to get moving and add gas as you release the clutch further. You can do this in 2nd, but it takes more slip (read wear), and more gas (not as efficient). 1st gear in a XJ is not a granny gear like a pickup 4spd, but more like an import 1st gear. Learn that and you can drive most current M/T.

Hill starts are a bit different. With your feet on the clutch and brake, let out the clutch slowly until you feel the Jeep start to pull on the brake, then release the brake and slowly add gas. The hand brake is there to help you do all three at once, but the XJ brakes are lousy at holding the Jeep from rolling backwards unless you constantly manually adjust them, so I gave you the two pedal version.

Downshifting takes more skill. This takes patience and learning your vehicle, but is worth it. To downshift, punch the clutch and pull the transmission out of the current gear, shortly after, pop the gas, and shift into 1 step lower gear. The idea is to get the new RPMs in sync with the gear to put the engine in the power band you want to either accelerate, or use as a brake. I very seldom use my brake except when coming to a stop.

Off-Road you don't tend to shift much and the game is all Clutch/Brake/Gas coordination. You will tax your skills there.

I drove MC for years before my 1st car (a 1200 Honda Civic). I drove around a lot around on different terrain to hone my skills with the new set of parameters.

As per above, time depends on the person. I taught my 1st wife how to drive a stick in 2hrs. My Brother after days, gave up and never bought another M/T vehicle.

Last edited:
Even with only 3.55s and 33s I found it very easy to get used to wheeling a stick, especially in low range. I have to do something really stupid to stall it out then.

High range is another story.

Ok, how do I prevent the jeep from jerking a little while accelerating in 1st and sometimes 2nd? That's the most annoying thing for me. What I normally do is when I starts to happen I engage the clutch and slowly release it again. Help on this?

Ok, how do I prevent the jeep from jerking a little while accelerating in 1st and sometimes 2nd? That's the most annoying thing for me. What I normally do is when I starts to happen I engage the clutch and slowly release it again. Help on this?

Sounds like your traveling too slowly for the gear. Should be rare in first but at slow speeds (ie. parking) you may need to slip the clutch a little but try to avoid doing so. I usually press then let off and repeat for really slow movement. Dunno if it's better than slipping though.

As said above I like downshifting and rarely use my brake as well.

I learned on dirtbikes so cars were never a problem. Every stick/clutch is different though so each one takes a little driving to get used to.

Last edited:
that is some supreme wisdom right there :spin1:

:heart:

I think the easiest thing to learn how to drive a manual, is a Diesel.. my CTD wont die! you could be in 5th gear and drop the clutch, it will just buck until you engage the clutch again

When I learned how to drive a stick (13, in moab) I had the same problem, when I let the clutch out id be scared to give it more gas and then once the clutch was out I realized it was my foot bouncing off the pedal ( letting off then kinda stabbing back at it, caused a bucking motion, best way I can describe it)

anywho, that was in a TJ with about 45 minutes of learning time and I was good to go, then I mastered the 72 bronco with three on the tree and about a foot and a half of throw between gears (reversed trans too, first is down)

Since then Ive had at leat 4 M/T's that I can remember, and about to put an Eclipse GST M/T in the stable tomorrow =)

Also, make sure your seat is far enough back, when I drive a stick I like my ankle to be the only thing moving to engage the clutch, lots more control that way, if your too far forward with the seat you have to move your entire leg out of the way to go in and out with it. I always adjust my seat so my clutch leg is fairly straight and have the clutch pedal pushed in with my foot on about a 45* angle. The only vehicle this didnt work on was a ford ranger with a clutch pedal that had about a foot of movement, I dont know how long an xj clutch is but im assuming it can be that bad

You should get the hang of it within a week or two, I personally found it easer to get used to the vehicle by driving with radio off and windows down to hear the engine and not only rely on the tach. Then once you get used to how the vehicle feels when shifting it is easier to drive with music and windows up.

Also, make sure your seat is far enough back, when I drive a stick I like my ankle to be the only thing moving to engage the clutch, lots more control that way, if your too far forward with the seat you have to move your entire leg out of the way to go in and out with it. I always adjust my seat so my clutch leg is fairly straight and have the clutch pedal pushed in with my foot on about a 45* angle. The only vehicle this didnt work on was a ford ranger with a clutch pedal that had about a foot of movement, I dont know how long an xj clutch is but im assuming it can be that bad

My VW has a long throw on the clutch pedal, and I have to be fairly close.

Back