NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old February 7th, 2018, 20:30
NAXJA Member

D30 cad delete...

So I finally got around to cracking open the old 87 d30 with 4.10s. I am trying to do the 2 to one piece axle shaft conversion but quickly realized I apparently have a unicorn axle. First the axle shaft had a e clip holding the shaft in at the carrier which I’ve seen many ppl argue “there is no such thing” second I tried installing the new axle seal that came with Rusty’s cad delete kit at the differential and it was way to small. Looks like my axle tube i.d. Is larger than just about everyone’s. Yes I know where the seal goes, no I can’t just slap a ton of r.t.v. In there and “make it fit”. Was hoping someone else has ran into this and can give me the correct inner axle seal part # I do have a micrometer and I can call around but was hoping some one can save me the leg work. That and wanted to share my unicorn story
Old February 7th, 2018, 21:44
NAXJA Member

Re: D30 cad delete...

Yes, I ran into this with my '87. I used a Volvo cam seal and no, it did not seal. I tried sanding down the one piece shaft as well and running a factory seal at the disco section as well, that didn't work either. The third time attempting to make it seal I used a die grinder on the inner tube at the diff and a 'ton of rtv'. That kinda-sorta worked, I still got a few drips every now and then. I ended up just buying a non-disco housing for $200 and problem solved (had to regear so thats when i switched it).

My honest opinion...get a non disco housing. Next best way to make it seal is go at it with a die grinder and some RTV. No one had an answer for me either when I had this problem so your not crazy....

When you want to be someone you drive a lifted JK, when you already know who you are you drive an old XJ.
Old February 8th, 2018, 12:39
NAXJA Member

Figured it wouldn’t be a simple thing with how my luck goes, did it have 4.10s in that axle? I’ve read of one other person running into this and he had an 87 with stock 4.10 gears would be interesting to see if they had larger I.d. Tubes with the 4.10 gear option. Well I’ll probably waste 30 bucks on different seals then toss the thing. Everyone around here wants your first born to regear and I’m cheap. I’ll let you know if I find anything
Old February 8th, 2018, 13:05
NAXJA Member

I cant remember the Volvo seal number....Mine was 3.07 and identical to yours from what your saying. Re-gearing is $$$ I hear you on that, I fortunately have done a few re-gears so I always do my own, its not so bad if your are mechanically inclined.

When you want to be someone you drive a lifted JK, when you already know who you are you drive an old XJ.
Old February 8th, 2018, 13:54
NAXJA Member

Took some measurements and I’m at about 51.8 mm i.d. On this tube, so about a millimeter larger than everyone else’s. I’m somewhat mechanically inclined but all the shops around here assure me it involves voodoo magic. Gonna try to get ahold of sealsit and hope they have something close then I guess I’ll be doing a lot of research on how to regear.
Old February 8th, 2018, 16:12
NAXJA Member

It's been awhile, But I remember vaguely on my 87 that I had to buy 4 or 5 different seals. I just ordered all the different ones that were suggested in this forum. one was close but just slightly too big. Took a bit of effort with a dremel, but it went in and worked great.
Old February 9th, 2018, 22:06
NAXJA Member

you can search seal size here:

http://www.skf.com/us/system/ProductSearchResult.html

For a shaft of ~1.12" and OD of 2.05", this seal pops up:
http://www.skf.com/us/products/seals...t=imperialUnit

Or OD of 2.0:
http://www.skf.com/us/products/seals...t=imperialUnit

The seal I used I had to sand down the outer diameter with some emory cloth but it fit tight and held up for me. Most fun was knocking out the bearing at the disconnect.