• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

maximum tire size on a stock 1990 Jeep Wagoneer Limited (XJ BODY)

jeepxjfan2004

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,
Any one know the maximum tire size on a 1990 Jeep Wagoneer(bassically a cherokee of the same year?) Stock suspension no lift. I think 235 but am not sure.

I have 31X10.50R15s and they are S T U F F E D bad and occasionally rub... bad I know. Working on getting an RE 3.5 Superflex installed in the VERY near future. Could go with a Rocky Road Outfitter Budget Lift, but would rather do it right... eventually gonna go 5.5 or bigger, but thats a year or two out.

Don't go bigger than the 30". The 10.50s work, but I can't go lock to lock or I get rubbage. Didn't lose much radius though and I like the wideness.

jeepxjfan2004 said:
Hey,
Any one know the maximum tire size on a 1990 Jeep Wagoneer(bassically a cherokee of the same year?) Stock suspension no lift. I think 235 but am not sure.

Do you want to know the max you can fit or the max size that was available when it came out?

If the latter , my Wagoneer XJ was running the mighty 215/75-15 when I got it. That was the biggest Wagoneer tire in 1990.

I ran (and run on my '92) 235's with no trouble at all. Anything larger is starting to ask for trouble with rubbing on the LCA's and front skid if so equipped. The 235 tire is about 9.25 inches wide and very similar in size to a 30/9.50-15 and you could run either. Beyond that you need to consider moving the body up and the wheel out a little.

Ok... let me pull boot out of my mouth... somehow I didn't read this was about a Wagoneer... my post was based on thinking we were discussing an XJ... Sorry for the dumbness, just got home from travel and was way Jet Lagged. Missed the thread title. Don't know how different the Wagoneer Chassis is from the XJ, but guessing it makes clearances different.

I'm reasonably certain he's still talking about an XJ. Both were available as XJ's in 1990.

Thanks everybody for your input. I think I'll go with the 30x 9.50 that was suggested. Just for those of you who don't know the wagoneer is bassically the same body and design as the xj as well as the same class. only difference is it has wood paneling and a different headlight arrangement. 4 instead of two. I doubt you'll see alot of these though they aren't as common as it's cherokee sibling

jeepxjfan2004 said:
Thanks everybody for your input. I think I'll go with the 30x 9.50 that was suggested. Just for those of you who don't know the wagoneer is bassically the same body and design as the xj as well as the same class. only difference is it has wood paneling and a different headlight arrangement. 4 instead of two. I doubt you'll see alot of these though they aren't as common as it's cherokee sibling

There was a Cherokee Briarwood that was identical to a Wagoneer except for the badging and headlights. Same 'wood' decals. ;)

My 89 Woody came with 30 9.5's. Never rubbed.

My 96 Country has the same size and rubs when I do sharp turns

Weird I wonder what the difference is between the two. Maybe different rim width? Yeah the briarwood was basically the wagoneer's replacement I think. Does any one ever really offroad these wagoneers? They seem like they have a better 4-wheel system then my old xj did.

jeepxjfan2004 said:
Weird I wonder what the difference is between the two. Maybe different rim width? Yeah the briarwood was basically the wagoneer's replacement I think. Does any one ever really offroad these wagoneers? They seem like they have a better 4-wheel system then my old xj did.

Yes people do 4wheel them but there are not many on the road so you will not see many on the trails. Most of them (if not all) came with the 242 and non disco D30. Some of the other xj's did also. The only differences between them and other xj's are the lights and grill and fake wood. Other than that there are no differences (unless anyone can think of anything else).

Every xj is slightly differnent and the amount of sag in the suspention and the adjustment of the steering stops can easily account for the 30's rubbing on one rig and not on another.

There are a few people out there that say you can fit 31's on stock suspension with out major rubbing or trimming. I suspect you would have to have very little sag in the suspention to make it work without reasonable trimming or bumpstops.

Michael

2xtreme said:
Yes people do 4wheel them but there are not many on the road so you will not see many on the trails. Most of them (if not all) came with the 242 and non disco D30. Some of the other xj's did also. The only differences between them and other xj's are the lights and grill and fake wood. Other than that there are no differences (unless anyone can think of anything else).

Michael

The primary differences were covered above. They came with a fabric and leather seats which had "Limited" stitched into the backs. They had an overhead console, wood grain dash bezel, wood grain upper door trim and special fabric inserts with more wood on the door panels. They also included chrome trim around the rear license plate and contrasting woodgrain metal trim around the wood siding.

The Briarwood was made in '91 and '92 and was basically a Cherokee with a slightly darker wood grain applique on the sides. The Wagoneer was made as the upscale madel from '84 to '90. In 1990, they made 3,888 of them compared to about 20 times as many regular XJs. They are becoming harder to find.

Cool I had no Idea they made so few. Explains why I've only seen like three others. How do you identify your axle? I probably should've taken into account the suspension when come to the tires.

The axles are dimensionally the same, the only major difference being that you should have a non-disconnect axle. This means that you will have a one piece axle shaft on the passenger side instead of the 2 piece shaft setup that is common with most early Cherokees. You won't see the vacuum disconnect motor and skid plate on the right side of your axle like you would find on many others of that era.

Rigs running the 242 t-case back then had non-disco axles and they generally had 297 joints if they were ABS equipped. Some others may have had 297 joints but I'm reasonably certain that in 1990 you had to have a 242 and ABS to get that setup. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Letsgomuddin said:
yeah man that sounds pretty bad.... or u could cut into the wheel well or w/e u call it and raise the cover
Holy old dead thread Batman .
batman.gif

you do realize that this thread has been inactive for over 2 years right? :dunno:

Blkxjkrawler said:
Holy old dead thread Batman .
batman.gif

you do realize that this thread has been inactive for over 2 years right? :dunno:

florida.gif
OFN brought to you by Florida. 'Dumbass' tag sits in the corner sulking.

/we there yet?

Back