• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What aftermarket radiator is best (2 core/3 core) what manu???

Big Red

NAXJA Forum User
What's the best aftermarket radiator out there for a replacement for an open system on my 91' xj? I have a 4.0L/aw4/231 with 35's and 4.56 gears. My radiator gave me problems yesterday when I was ready to wheel with my buds in the Sierra Chapter. The radiator cap and C bend pipe that goes into the raditor is lose to the point where I can pull the bent pipe/radiator cap lose of my radiator. It doesn't look like the pipe broke, just somehow worked its way lose.

Anyhow, what radiator is a good 1 to use (2 core/3 core)? I did hours of searching on this site and others and couldn't find a unanimous answer. What brand, part# etc? Lots of people say 3 core, but these have small passages I've been reading. Other say 2 core NAPA from Modine. Others GSI/CSF? My stock OEM radiator was working fine, but now with the pipe coming lose and no pressure, my system overheated. What should I get???
Please advise.
thanks...Troy

Last edited:
Re: What aftermarket radiator is best (2 row/3 row) what manu???

Big Red said:
What's the best aftermarket radiator out there for a replacement for an open system on my 91' xj? I have a 4.0L/aw4/231 with 35's and 4.56 gears. My radiator gave me problems yesterday when I was ready to wheel with my buds in the Sierra Chapter. The radiator cap and C bend pipe that goes into the raditor is lose to the point where I can pull the bent pipe/radiator cap lose of my radiator. It doesn't look like the pipe broke, just somehow worked its way lose.

Anyhow, what radiator is a good 1 to use (2 row/3 row)? I did hours of searching on this site and others and couldn't find a unanimous answer. What brand, part# etc? Lots of people say 3 core, but these have small passages I've been reading. Other say 2 row NAPA from Modine. Others GSI/CSF? My stock OEM radiator was working fine, but now with the pipe coming lose and no pressure, my system overheated. What should I get???
Please advise.
thanks...Troy

Save a lot of research, opinions, etc. If you want a good rad, one that fits, just go pickup a modine, don't get the one with plastic tanks, get the brass one, HD 2 core and you will be just fine...
If you have DEEP pockets then go look at those $500 aluminum one's..

I had put a GDI 3 row in my 95 a while ago. It was Ok, didnt cure anything as far as heating issues, kinda cheap lookin. If i had to do it again Id get the Modine also.

How much does the Modine 2 row cost and can you get it at Napa Auto Parts? My OEM was working fine until the whole filler neck came out of my radiator. Also I've been reading that the 2 rows, like stock will be easier to fit like the OEM rather than the 3 rows that are pretty thick. I got a new xj auxillary fan too, but might get the 1 people talk about on ebay "Zolex" or something like that I think it's called. I think the 14" will fit and put out enough juice. You can easily hook up the aux fan to a toggle switch right?

Thanks Rich and Dyna for your quick response. I was already to wheel with my boys in the Sierra Chapter and I couldn't keep up to them with my xj overheating heading up into the Sierras.
Troy

Modine all Brass HD 2 row is what I just put in mine, I have an 89 but have converted to an open system, and it has never cooled better, the radiator was about $150 from Napa and came with all the necessary fittings, looks to be built VERY well also.

Josh

JBrobeck said:
Modine all Brass HD 2 row is what I just put in mine, I have an 89 but have converted to an open system, and it has never cooled better, the radiator was about $150 from Napa and came with all the necessary fittings, looks to be built VERY well also.

Josh

I see some from RadiatorBarn for $113 for a 2 core, do you think it looks good:

http://www.radiatorbarn.com/s7.asp?...submodel=ALL+MODELS&engine_size=L6,4.0L,242ci

So the Modine just dropped in? Are you guys getting new hoses from the Dealer when swapping in a new radiator? How much and how many hoses you need?
Troy

The advantage of the OEM hoses is that they come with a spring in the lower hose, both rad hoses also come with the external hose protectors already there. If you do the heater hoses at the same time the OEM one's also come with the clamps already on them...
Every modine I have ever used has always been a drop in fit with all the holes lining right up which is handy for the fan shroud. Did a gdi on our YJ and the shroud holes were way off and missing two...so much for saving $30, took me over an hour to rig that setup to work right....

JBrobeck said:

Josh

Running the same setup here. Modine HD 2 row in my '89 with the open system conversion. I replaced all the hoses, water pump, overflow tank, t-stat housing and t-stat and some other things while I was at it. Best $450 (total price for everything) I ever spent. The radiator itself was around $150 from a local radiator shop.

Sorry for the stupid, non searching, question.

What is the difference between my stock and an "Open system"?

Thanks

some of the early radiators had no cap and you filled the radiator thru the recovery container. I put a 3 row in my 91 and got it thru www.radiators.com I had it shipped UPS next day and radiator and shipping and tax came to $122.00. I have had it in for about 2 years and 50K miles and no problems. I also pull my boat with the XJ and going to the 3 row stopped all of my overheating problems. It's a good radiator for a cheap price.
Big O

I got a quote of $135, from NAPA. The parts person told me that they only carried 1 type for the XJ, but now that I am thinking about it, he might of been refering to the closed system type raiator. I'll have to double check.

Copperhead

So the 2 row does just fine? I heard that the 3 row is a bit wider causing a problem sometimes with fitting it and the fans. Also the internal tubing in the radiator will be a little smaller causing it to clog easier. I like an easy install, so even if the Modine is a bit more than I can find on the internet with free shipping, I think I will go with it. How much do you guys remember it costing to replace the OEM radiator hoses from the dealer? I want to do those too when I'm in there and get a new 195 t-stat. Thanks for all the feedback guys, you all rock.
Troy

I have the 3 row CSF from dpgoffroad.com. It fits fine and does not have a problem with hitting the fan or anything. It dropped right in and I think it cured my overheating problems.

I just wanted the throw in another plug for the Modine 2 rows. Mine went in very easily, is very well built, and gave me a noticeable improvement over my stock single row with only 67K on it. The stock one's cooling was fine but I've noticed a big increase in cooling efficiency with the Modine 2 row. Oh yeah, mine is all brass as well.

Well, when I bought the hoses I got a bunch of other stuff too, plugs, wires, cap and rotors for both TJ's 4 bangers, complete hoses for my 98XJ 4.0, new idlers, serpentine belts for both tj's. I think the hoses, tstat and pressure cap came to somewhere around $75 for all of them from the local dodge dealer [they can order jeep parts with your vin number], Upper and lower rad hoses, two heater hoses, tstat and cap, maybe 3 caps, I think I bought 3 to do the TJ's too. It is not unresonable for what you get...
Tip: when removing the old heater hoses move the clamp off the heater core bungs and use a sharp razor knife to slit them off the bungs, don't pull them or twist them off, you might break the bung and then have a real nitemare on your hands.
Also if you plan on doing a cooling flush install the prestone T fitting on the old hoses before you start the cooling system R&R, use the 7 hour prestone flush to clean it all out. Then install all the new stuff...
I use Mopar coolant from the dealer and I also use distilled water to make up my mix..

Thanks for all the tips Rich. I heard about breaking off the heater bungs. Really sucks. Where are they located anyways? I'll go to Napa and get the Modine 2 row like you said. My bro things that Napa will have/could get the OEM radiator hoses. Is that true or do you need to get them from the dealer? So there are 2 radiator hoses and 2 heater hoses that I need to get from the dealer?
Troy

Back