• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 Removal questions

Lake919

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, I am attempting to remove my TC today to install my SYE and its giving me fits, does anyone have any tips or tricks? Also what is the best tool for removing the bolts?

Hi guys, I am attempting to remove my TC today to install my SYE and its giving me fits, does anyone have any tips or tricks? Also what is the best tool for removing the bolts?

No need to remove it unless you want to.
The two SYEs I have installed were done with the transferase still installed.
The case can be split in place.
http://www.jbconversions.com/pdf/16-1205.pdf

Half moon or a short offset box end will get it done! Clean threads will definitely help when re-installing it.

I use a stubby wrench.

It also helps to put a jack under the transmission, remove the crossmember, and then carefully lower the transmission a few inches.

There is a BleepinJeep Youtube video on the process that is helpful.

Ditto on the stubby wrench. I also used 450 lb. transmission jack from Harbor Freight (item #61232, $80 with a coupon) to support it when removing and installing. I found it a lot easier to work on the TC on a workbench.

I used my floor jack and lowered the trans/transfer case to get more access at the top. Also using 1/4” drive sockets, extensions etc help get into tight places. I much preferred working on the bench then under the Jeep.

JBtjvA9.jpg

Pop off the shifter linkafe, put a jack under the transmission mount, unbolt the cross member from the frame rails, and lower it a few inches for increased clearance. Use a stubby wrench and/or a super long extension with a ratchet and socket. TC to transfer case nuts are 9/16" IIRC.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back