NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Jeep Street and Performance
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Jeep Street and Performance Do you like to go fast in your Jeep?

Old January 10th, 2018, 09:34
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Engine Rebuilt

That's why I went the extra mile with ARP rockers studs and Harland Sharp rockers. RussP also set me up with the use of beehive springs!

Old January 10th, 2018, 16:18
NAXJA Forum User

Those springs are positively buzzing. Are those 1.7 ratio. !? I had Yella Terra 1.6's on my first stroker. I sold the whole vehicle to start anew. I figured if I was ever going to do RR's again I'd get a 1.7 setup some how. I watched a video last night of how a guy fab'ed up the Harland Sharp 1.7's for a small block Chevy to fit his 2.5 setup. I'm not good at machinery so I wouldn't try it. Maybe one day I'll get some and show the video to my machinist to see if he can make them work.
Old January 10th, 2018, 22:43
NAXJA Forum User

No they are 1.6's.
Old January 11th, 2018, 01:06
NAXJA Forum User

I have the yella terra 1.6's
they are noisy.
but 6 years later still running good.
Old January 11th, 2018, 07:42
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3fan View Post
I have the yella terra 1.6's
they are noisy.
but 6 years later still running good.
I've never heard a roller rocker to be noisy! If they are you may not have the right sized pushrods.
Old January 11th, 2018, 09:05
NAXJA Forum User

Yeah, what he said. RR's are supposed to be quieter. You might want to recheck your valve lash adjustments.

After some ponderance I have decided I'll probably never use RR's on the Jeep. The idea of the stamped steels flexing means they will absorb more shock in the valve train and produce less wear and tear on the cam and lifters in the long run. I just watched a video where they Dyno'd RR's that were 1.6 vs the stock 1.5 on a Chevy engine. They made 17hp and 2.5 Tq abot 6000 RPM on a 425 HP motor. Just not worth the money for small gains that add rigidity to the valve train and potentially reduce components' life time. I'm not concerned about valve tips. That's easier to work on than pulling the head to get the cam and lifters out. Parts will eventually dry up for the 4.0. In my search I am already seeing a lot less options out there, but Comp Cams will probably always have you covered since they don't just stock them and wait for them to go out of style, they're custom grinding mine and the cost of the cam was cheaper than just about everywhere, except the OEM on RA.
Old January 11th, 2018, 09:39
NAXJA Forum User

I didn't buy my roller's for any performance reasons. I only wanted the advantages they provide in wear, particularly the stems, guides, and springs. The beehive springs take care of any harmonic issues along with reducing the mass weight.
Old January 11th, 2018, 18:14
NAXJA Forum User

You know, I can tell just by looking at your block it's decked to 0. Golen didn't do that for me despite me asking them to do that. I'll never buy another engine from anyone again. I bet the dish in my pistons isn't 29CC's either. What's the seat pressure when closed on those springs?

Anyways, here's what Comp Cams will be doing with my cam next week, or this weekend. I didn't know it was such a technologically advanced .... thing. It looks so much different when it's done. Maybe I should paint my rims black to match it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ej8cQ2w2xI

Last edited by HttpWayne; January 11th, 2018 at 18:23.
Old January 12th, 2018, 00:06
NAXJA Forum User

I had about .005" removed just to clean up the block surface. Russ did the springs but they are advertised at 110@1.700" installed height.
Old January 12th, 2018, 08:15
NAXJA Forum User

Golen had mine at 132lbs. I had Dean here locally put it back at the stock 75~ range.
Old January 12th, 2018, 11:57
NAXJA Forum User

That's the equivalent of stock so be careful what cam grind you choose. This build seems so "confused/fragmented" with machinists and parts. Has anybody been in charge to see it as a complete design?
BTW: what happened to the cylinder head locating dowels? That's asking for trouble!
Old January 12th, 2018, 13:09
NAXJA Forum User

Dean knows what he's doing. I know what I want but didn't get what I asked for. I looked long and hard over the years into the attributes of a good engine. I just didn't get what I asked for. The pushrod issue is the last thing that needs corrected at this point but I won't be able to solve that puzzle until the new cam and lifters come in.

It didn't make any sense to either of us how it's the same engine, with the same cam, and the same lifters with the same length rods and the rocker feet sat a quarter of an inch off of the pedestals. I think the shop that bought the rods up in NC fubar'd it. I should just ask Chad what he used to begin with. Those guys in NC kept buying rods and torquing to the OEM specs and it kept opening valves, then Chad said they just needed to adjust the preload only. But these feet have to touch so.... preload only goes so far.

I think those preload measurements don't matter unless you have the right length push rod to begin with. Even then, once the feet land those rockers aren't loading anything down so I still don't understand what he's talking about there. Getting the exact rod length and torquing it to spec is about the only thing that makes sense in my mind.

This engine didn't have them, for whatever reason. It doesn't have the spot for them at all. The 4.0 I have does. I'll get it lined up right like I did before. That's the easy part in comparison to everything else I've been through over the years dealing with engines. The 4.0 that came out last month is the first engine I've seen have them.
Old January 13th, 2018, 08:23
NAXJA Forum User

Well you've got nothing but bad advice so far! The 4.0 has a "non-adjustable" valvetrain so setting the correct pre-load is "absolutely" critical. It can be achieved in a couple ways with a adjustable pushrod being the easiest.
With all the issues you've had so far I would start by checking all the stem heights first!
Old January 15th, 2018, 09:58
NAXJA Forum User

I just spoke to the Stroker Oracle at Golen concerning push rods. He said basically you shouldn't ever need to use a different than stock push rod. Here's the description he gave me on how to properly set preload (which I didn't fully understand until he explained it):

1. Tighten rockers to 0 lash (rods barely free to spin around with no play between rockers and valve stems) while on base circle of cam.
2. Line up ratchet and tighten until it's snug. It should land between 1 and 1.5 full turns to land at "snug" (I am guessing this is where the feet should land at the base). If it's more or less then I need to call Chad and talk about that. They always use 4.0 rods, and if they wind up too short 4.2's for an application. They only ever use diff. length push rods if there is a unique application.
3. At this point I will then torque it to 25ft lbs.

Does this sound like a good plan, man?

He said I shouldn't put the lifters in pre-pumped. I tend to agree since I was opening valves while the feet were sitting off the pedestals a quarter of an inch. A problem I foresee is that I don't think 1.5 turns is going to close a quarter inch gap between the rocker feet and the pedestals, with the lifters pre-pumped anyways.

It almost seems as if you have to put them in no pre-pumped so they will oil up to the proper levels they should be during the valve train. . . .? I don't like the idea of putting lifters in dry though. I've read that it's recommended to let them sit in a high zinc oil for 24 hours before putting them in.

Last edited by HttpWayne; January 15th, 2018 at 10:02.
Old January 15th, 2018, 13:22
NAXJA Forum User

Nope, except for the dry lifter part! Method 1 doesn't require a separate measuring tool, but #2 explains it better!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0J-48FljKw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeQT_vA7wKI