• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS not pulsing brakes

mikeprince

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 and recently I've locked up the tires twice and there is no pulsing. The engine compartment does have the ABS unit with all the brake lines plumbed through it.

I looked in the engine compartment fuse box, and the relay in the "ABS/Lights" position is missing.

Is there supposed to be a relay? How do I test ABS?

Thanks in advance!

Did you buy it used? Sounds like the ABS system was not working properly and the previous owner got tired of looking at the ABS light. Typically, the indicator light on the dash will tell you if you have an ABS problem, but not with that relay pulled.

If you really want to test it (at your own risk of course :rtm:) find a road with a gravel shoulder, veer off the road so you have two tires on the pavement and two tires on the shoulder, and slam on the brakes. If your ABS is working, you should feel the pedal bouncing up and down like mad. If it's not, your Jeep may now be on it's top.

The missing ABS relay means the ABS has been disabled. Replace the relay and you might get a CEL light and and trouble code you look up.

Back