• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plumbing 101

Erik

NAXJA Forum User
I have a couple of projects going which require some plumbing knowledge, and of course I'm completely ignorant. Maybe someone can set me straight on terms, resources and such. First item: I need to replace a front pass. brake line, and the 3/8 inverted flare fitting on the hardline is all fouled up (Vise-grip modified). Question is, is that a 37 or 45 deg fitting? It should be a 3/8 male fitting for a 3/16 hard line, and I'll be connecting it to a RE 4" brake extention and then to a stock YJ brake line. If you have a resource for the part and can set me straight on the terms, that would be most helpful. Second question, I have a leaky connector on my AT line to the cooler (return). So I need to transition from a 3/8 OD stock tubing to a 5/16 ID Stainless steel tubing. Any ideas? I just bought a flaring tool and would still need to order the tubing and connectors.

Brake lines have what is called a "double flare" - where it's a two-layer flare at the end of the tubing - to enhance sealing and prevent leaks. This is made with a specific flaring tool, so look for that. DO NOT use a regular flaring tool for brake lines - if it seals, it's more a matter of luck than having actually done something right. Apart from that, I seem to recall that it's a 45* flare. Bear in mind that proper brake line fittings and flaring tools are (or damn well should be) DOT approved for making the correct flare - although, frankly, I like -AN better.

For the transmission line, you only mention material on one side of the join. If you are going from a 5/16" metal to a 3/8" hose, all you really need is a bead on the tube and you're there. I've rerun transmission cooler lines with 3/8" power steering hose with no ill effects - there isn't enough pressure to be a problem for the PS hose, and it will stand up to the detergents in the ATF. If you do use hose, I suggest you route it carefully and make sure to cover the hose with something to help prevent abrasion (I use nylon braided sleeving and cover that with split loom for insurance. Eventually, it will be CRES-braided hose....)

5-90

5-90 said:
Brake lines have what is called a "double flare" - where it's a two-layer flare at the end of the tubing - to enhance sealing and prevent leaks. This is made with a specific flaring tool, so look for that. DO NOT use a regular flaring tool for brake lines - if it seals, it's more a matter of luck than having actually done something right. Apart from that, I seem to recall that it's a 45* flare. Bear in mind that proper brake line fittings and flaring tools are (or damn well should be) DOT approved for making the correct flare - although, frankly, I like -AN better.

For the transmission line, you only mention material on one side of the join. If you are going from a 5/16" metal to a 3/8" hose, all you really need is a bead on the tube and you're there. I've rerun transmission cooler lines with 3/8" power steering hose with no ill effects - there isn't enough pressure to be a problem for the PS hose, and it will stand up to the detergents in the ATF. If you do use hose, I suggest you route it carefully and make sure to cover the hose with something to help prevent abrasion (I use nylon braided sleeving and cover that with split loom for insurance. Eventually, it will be CRES-braided hose....)

5-90

Thanks! That brake line info is exactly what I was looking for. The flaring tool that I ordered does make double flares. I probablly will just get a beading tool and follow your advice on the trans cooler line.Trying to find a connector has been a real pain, and I have seen a need to put stainless tube in there also. Oh, the other end of that line mates right up to the trans cooler, no problem.

Back