• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulling engine and transmission together.

90xj06

NAXJA Forum User
so im thinking of pulling my engine and transmission with transfer case all in one go. whats the best way to tackle this. im not sure how hard it would be to separate the transmission with the engine in and figure it might be best to pull it all together.

i figure i can mount the chains to the head bolts and to where the a/c bracket was mounted. or would it be best to wrap around the manifold?

im going to have to do this twice as im swapping engines from another jeep.

from a 90 into an 88.

Either way is fine. It's actually not that hard to remove the tranny from the engine while it's still attached but it's really easy to separate them outside of the XJ.

I use a hook under the A/C bracket. Have a couple of nuts and bolts ready to locate where the lifting hook pulls the motor chain.

I disassemble the core support and move the condenser out of the way.

Under your hood insulation is an elongated hole where you can place the prop rod so you can do the whole job without removing the hood.

Also, it's easy to unbolt the torque converter from underneath, so that when you split outside of the truck, you simply unbolt the bell housing.

i think im picking up a hoist today. my calculations suggest that the engine is ~670 transmission is ~250 and transfer case is ~100. so a 1 ton should work in this instance?

and im going to be taking the front clip off so i get more of a direct shot.

will try to get some pictures. its going to be a bit cold out side so im almost certain that i wont be in the happiest of moods.

Yeah. That should work although I think the engine itself is closer to 500, but it's a pain to manipulate, so go for the bigger weight estimate just to be on the safe side.

Not sure what hoists are out there, years ago I got a Goodyear branded (not sure who really made it) hoist from sams club with adjustable boom. Plus the legs fold up for storage.

076e1b6ec2bf948f141729de48f4cfad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have had a 50/50 chance with them. the heavier stuff seems to be well put together. and i don't plan on being under it at anytime.

Honestly harbor freight is selling a lot of the same stuff as the auto parts stores. It all comes from China .
But I am extra cautious about buying anything from harbor freight, but usually their tools and heavy duty stuff looks the same as the hardware store and parts houses, not that I would buy an electric drill or air compressor from them.

The 2 ton crane you picture is sold by at least a dozen different brands. I've had mine for over 10 years and love it. The biggest thing I would change with it is to put a large knob on the release valve instead of using the slotted pump handle.

i havent had to many issues with the bigger stuff. i have a bench grinder and sawsall and it works good. but some of the hand tools are not that great. namely the snap ring pliers. lasted all of 30 seconds.

I had to put the front on jack stands to get enough angle to clear the ground in back and the bumper area/cross member in front. Then my lift didn't go up high enough to clear the rear of the package, so I had to lower the front down with the engine hanging. No big deal just a process.

You'll find the center of balance to be well to the rear of the motor. I used a strap around the whole motor, running just about where the rear main seal is. Three points, with one chain running to the front of the motor.

Take the bottom bolts out of the front engine mounts and pull the mounts with the motor.

You have to take the trans cross member off.

I'm thinking next time I may separate the transfer from the transmission. So I don't need as much tilt to clear everything.

hmm ill try and grab it further in the back of the engine. i recently went through a transfer case swap and it was hell. which is why i want to pick it all together. does the transfer case linkage thats mounted to the transfer case pop out or do i need to remove that bracket?

The 2 ton crane you picture is sold by at least a dozen different brands. I've had mine for over 10 years and love it. The biggest thing I would change with it is to put a large knob on the release valve instead of using the slotted pump handle.

Mine has a lever for the release, which I liked until last January when I bumped it trying to pull a motor out and away from the engine bay.
Nothing bad happened just a oh shit! moment.
I think my jacked got caught on the lever and when I step back it snagged. Luckily I'm so familiar with that hoist no time was lost shutting the valve.
But when lowering the engine in that lever is priceless.

What do people usually call engine hoists?, where I grew up everybody called them "cherry pickers",
Had to work at not saying that when I worked at a autoparts store, they wanted everything labeled a certain way.

so im thinking of pulling my engine and transmission with transfer case all in one go. whats the best way to tackle this. im not sure how hard it would be to separate the transmission with the engine in and figure it might be best to pull it all together.

i figure i can mount the chains to the head bolts and to where the a/c bracket was mounted. or would it be best to wrap around the manifold?

im going to have to do this twice as im swapping engines from another jeep.

from a 90 into an 88.

ok so i got the engine swapped out and everything went well but i think i may have killed my crank sensor. it didn't look damaged but i may have dropped the transmission to low and crushed the sensor.

is there anything else i may have overlooked to cause it to not register an rpm?

i checked with the mt2500 and all the sensors are reading correct. except the fuel sync didnt show that it was changing but im not sure if it wont change unless it runs.

Back