• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Center Console

HITDOGG

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, posting from a tablet again so I can't seem to get the search to work. I'm wanting to know if there is a later model center console that will work in a 96 Cherokee sport. It is 4wd. I'm just wanting something with a couple of cup holders. Will the later models bolt right in? Thanks in advance.

Yes an no. You need to swap the parking brake handle assembly. So it's not a bolt in but will work. There is a write up. I'll try and find it.

There also used to be s cup holder adapter that attached to the center console with screws .don't know if it's still available.

I've been thinking of doing something different for the 85s center console what are the options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies! So It's basically replacing the parking brake handle to an off set one. Which years work best? Will a console out of a Grand Cherokee work?

There also used to be s cup holder adapter that attached to the center console with screws .don't know if it's still available.

I've been thinking of doing something different for the 85s center console what are the options?

Don't get it. It barely holds a can of soda in place and interferes with the throw of the parking brake.

I have one of those cup holders in both my rigs (XJ and MJ) and I think they're useful for a can or water bottle but not my coffee cup. Also there's no hold down in the front and the plastic mounting spots are fragile.

The one on the XJ did interfere with the e-brake, but I tightened up the brake cable which shortens the throw and still works fine. I put a full size console in the MJ when I swapped the bucket seats in and the e-brake is on the floor anyway.

I would prefer a newer console but haven't gotten around to it. I've also seen some guys actually modify the existing handle by welding on a piece to offset it. Looks easy.

I have a 98 center console in my 90. Easy enough swap. Had to piece together the air duct that runs under the center console using the old front half with the new back half. Minor modifications to get the console to bolt in. Swapped in the later parking brake handle, still have yet to hook the cables up to the axle. Love the cup holders. There is a gap at the front where it meets the dash, doesn't look too bad.

I have a late model console in both my XJ and MJ. In the XJ i just pulled bent the park brake lever over enough to be able to disengage the brake properly.
Have a foot lever in my MJ so, that is just empty at the moment.

There is one other option for a drink holder with the original console thats not over the brake lever

This is mopar's solution for 91-96 models, not sure how long it would last
f7e057a296615beaba1e185c127fa74b.jpg

Its supposed to be for the 91-96 models with the slots already there. I know my old 85 has no slots like this. I'll have to look at the others later. One dealer on eBay says you can add this to models that lack the slots by adding them, I'm not too confidant about that. I'm not even sure how well this design works

Here is a pic from the eBay seller who says it can be added to other model xj

I only stumbled across it because there was a odd looking cherokee console ending on eBay that didn't look like it came out of a xj so I did a search on consoles in google and this picture came up leading me to eBay and a cup holder I've never seen in a xj before.
a775fbc3597af5f8df5a529381cac1e4.jpg

I had one of those in my 1985. I had mid 90s console. It worked very well, but as mentioned we weren't buying top heavy 44 oz drinks 15 years ago. That said, I'm not sure it is any shallower than the ones in the 97+, but it is narrower.

Back