• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange grinding and a false neutral?

mjd99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, i was backing a trailer up an icy driveway in 2wd. Lost traction and tried to go 4hi (after i stopped) and got a loud grind, put trans in N and tcase shifter was in 4hi position, but would grind if i tried to go to any other position. Jeep wouldnt move in drive, reverse, nothing. Fought with both shifters for a bit, and finally got back in to 2wd, now everything works again. Done this 2 or 3 times in last year or two. 2wd and 4wd all work fine now, Any clue fellas?

What would i do in that case? Any way to cure/ diagnose cause of this? If i remember the last time it happened i was trying to climb a 30 ft snowbank in 2hi, then stopped and went 4hi. Wasnt flexd out or off camber, maybe trans was loaded in one direction? Is this normal? Dosent seem it.

I guess the cure would be not try something in 2wd that requires 4. It was just a strange thing, my driveway isnt that steep and i wasnt loaded and rolling when i hit 4. I think i actually hit N then rolled back to level ground once i lost traction, then hit 4hi, then reverse when it happened. Weird huh?

Ok, ill take a look at it on lunch tommorow. I gave it the wiggle test from underneath last week, seemed tight, and its always went smoothly into all selections and 4lo. It has a TC drop, but that was one of the first things i checked- and it seemed to shift perfectly.

Back