• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headliner swap help

XJ=Fun

NAXJA Forum User
Not sure how other people have done this, but I am trying to add the built in rear speaker headliner to my jeep. Did some prepping for it today and found that my 97 had a different wiring harness than the 2001 that I pulled it out of. WHat have others done in this situation? Here are some picks to show the difference. In the first pick you can see the two plugs that my 97 already has. The second pick shows the plug for the 2001. Any responses help!!!! I really want to get the headliner in..I paid too much for it:banghead:

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

No first hand experience but might have some insight because I have removed '99 and up headliners with overhead consoles that I want to put in my '00 that did not come with them. For me to get it to work I have to repin one connector. I think. Been researching but have not gotten to the actual job yet. My guess is you will be doing the same to some degree. What exactly did you grab out of the '01 to do the swap? My experience in stuff like this is grab everything. Never know exactly what you will need. Better to have it and not need it then to have to go dig up something at the boneyard. So my understanding is that because '97 is a transitional year the sound bar is separate, the interior dome and cargo bay are too. If I were attempting this I would have grabbed the headliner, black plastic piece behind the headliner where the speakers go, both interior lights, the whole harness from the fuse box back (runs up the pillar on the passenger side), and the visors too. Then research some wiring diagrams to see if there is a difference in the wiring or it is just the connectors that are different.

Wire plugs are for the convenience of the factory workers doing the original build. You can use any kind/type wire plugs that you adapt to work, or cut them off completely and hard wire all the connections.

Id just hardwire it, unless you can go back to the junkyard to grab the complete harness. that being said the oem speaker wiring is pretty crappy, so I'm not sure its even worth the hassle of trying to use the factory harnesses. Its a pretty simple task to run speaker wire from the radio to the back. Especially since you already have the headliner out. Go up the passenger side A pillar. just make sure you use some foam tape to keep it from bouncing against the headliner later down the road.

Yeah if I was doing this I would just run new speaker wire from the radio through the dash up the a pillar and secure them to the roof. e-z p-z

K, swap is on hold. One will most definitely need dome lights and brackets for the swap. My dome lights were way too small for the holes.

Back