• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump Not Priming

tylergrant2011

NAXJA Forum User
I was driving through town yesterday and was headed home and noticed my 87 Comanche started trying to die out. It ran fine the rest of the day and I didn't think no more about it. This morning i went to start it and it to just kept cranking over and over with the relay that is closest to the front on engine compartment clicking. Well I took my rubber mallet and swung it against the tank and she fired right up. Any ideas for this. I replaced the pump a year or so ago. Is it electrical issue or should I try a new pump?. I just put a tune up kit with all the filters and plugs and wires on it a few months back.

check the connector to the fuel pump. i know on the Cherokee it can get corroded. could be in a similar location on the Comanche.

I checked the connector to the fuel pump and everything seemed fairly clean. And there is no ballast on the fender wall like on my other Jeep.

Thanks for the information. I figured the pump must be weak to keep throwing a,relay. It was,drawing too many amps to supply the correct amount of fuel. I also placed a secondary ground and attached it to the frame and year or so ago when I replaced the pump. Any suggestions on pumps. Preferably one that might last longer.

Your pump is dying if whacking the tank got it going.

Here's something to look at doing some time soon:
http://cruiser54.com/?p=249

Thanks for the information. I figured the pump must be weak to keep throwing a,relay. It was,drawing too many amps to supply the correct amount of fuel. I also placed a secondary ground and attached it to the frame and year or so ago when I replaced the pump. Any suggestions on pumps. Preferably one that might last longer.

Bosch only. Period.

What does the relay do if you disconnect the fuel pump at the fuel pump?

Sounds like a partial short to ground, and or relay issue to me. A bad relay can chatter. I would do some serious detective work before I just replace a fuel pump.

Back