• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help, Out of Ideas. 97 XJ Stalling

koojay13

NAXJA Forum User
I have 1997 XJ and its been causing me some issues lately. Long story short it stalls during idle. Heres a list of everything i have replaced in the last 2 months- Spark Plugs, wires and distributor cap, starter, alternator, Crank position sensor, MAP sensor, and idle air control valve. I have also thoroughly cleaned the throttle body. Yet it still stalls at idle. Im running out of ideas as to what it may be. Fuel injectors possibly? Any help is greatly appreciated

Check engine light on? When's the last time you changed the fuel filter? Have you checked your crank and cam sensor/pick-up coil and made sure they're clean?

CE light was on, it was from the O2 sensors though, (codes P0138, and P0142). I replaced the Fuel pump itself pretty recently, and i didn't see an inline filter anywhere on my jeep, only filter i found was the screen on the pump. Crank sensor was replaced very recently, have not checked the cam sensor. I'm not sure what a pick up coil is, so no i havent checked it.

CE light was on, it was from the O2 sensors though, (codes P0138, and P0142).

Did you fix those codes ? O2 sensor issues can cause stalling, TPS issues are much less likely to be the source of the symptoms.

The Cherokee Camshaft Position Sensor is sometimes called a Camshaft Pickup Sensor.

If you are not installing genuine Jeep OBD engine sensors, and genuine Jeep or Bosch fuel pumps, you are probably installing cheap Chinese clone parts that are well known to be out of tolerance or even faulty right out of the box.

Try driving it without the gas cap. Maybe your tank is not venting and creating a vacuum. Otherwise I'd look at the crank/cam sensor. Could also be in the wiring like a nearly broken wire or possibly a bad fuel pump relay.

Back