• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas tank dent

90xj06

NAXJA Forum User
my gas tank has a sizable dent on the bottom passengers side. im going to be replacing it at some point but would that cause the gauge to only show up to 3/4 a tank? im almost certain that it is full as fuel came bubbling out the filler neck.

it will drop down to about 1/2 tank and when i fill it it only gets about 5ish gallons.

also on an 88 Cherokee Laredo would it be safe to guess i have the 20 gallon tank?

Dents in the tank can effect the readings significantly. When my gauge gets down to 1/4 tank, I have about 30 miles to empty.

the Laredo ought to be 20
Where is the dent? Close to the sender?
My 85 had a ton of dents I couldn't see all of them until I pulled it. But it still took seeming close to a full tank. Gauge never read inaccurately, just had that weird fluctuations as most old jeep apparently do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not sure where the sender is located. but its on the passengers side and its sizable. now its time to figure out how much is actually in it. ill bet a safe guess is ~15 when its full

not sure where the sender is located. but its on the passengers side and its sizable. now its time to figure out how much is actually in it. ill bet a safe guess is ~15 when its full
The slosh well sits center and forward in the tank, below the pickup assembly.

I am guessing you have a float hanging up, or someone may have installed the wrong pickup assembly.

i filled it up today and the light would go on around corners. it took about 9 gallons and the gauge only registers 1/2 tank. i just dont want to run out of gas i may have to fix this sooner than later.

so when changing the tank. should i replace the sender and pump? it seems like the pump is working fine. and im not sure if the sender itself is damaged or if its just a result of the dented tank.

Sounds a little nuts, if you cap off all the outlets and plug the filler it really doesn't take all that much air pressure to blow a dent back out. A crease can be rough, but your run of the mill dent will usually pop out pretty easy.

Think about it for a minute, the difference between 0 PSI and 35 PSI is whether your rim is sitting on your tire or lifting your whole XJ.

I've never tried it on an XJ but have done it on other tanks.

Last edited:
Back