• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch Mounting (types of mounting)

Lunatic728

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, before I go and get a lift, I figure I would give myself some recovery equipment, and armor. The armor is self explanitory and coming.

If I get this right there are 2 basic types of winch mounting

1. Permently mounted in a front winch bumper
2. Winch mounted in a cradle which then attaches via a 2" reciever

The question is which is the perfered method of mounting? I know with the cradle I can move if from the front to the rear whenever, but then there is the theft issue with this mounting.

Is there anything else that I am missing?

are you talking about theft while it's mounted to one of your recievers? if so, they make lockable pins that would securely mount the winch.

but as for input on which is better / more preferred, i haven't a clue.

I built my front winch bumper myself and also built a removeable winch tray which slides into some channels in the front bumper and then bolts in place. I can remove the four bolts and slide the winch and tray out. I plan to make a companion rear bumper which would allow the winch and tray to be slid into the rear bumper for those times when winching from the rear would be better. Also, the plan was to be able to remove the winch and leave it at home when not anticipating needing to use it. Building the quick disconnect fittings into the grill was a pain in the ass, and the parts got expensive quickly. It does look nice and works well so far though. I mounted the solenoids under the hood along the passengers side fender well and ran the control to the dash just left of the steering wheel on my '98. Again, it works well and looks good but was a PIA. I never ran cabling to the rear of the truck and in all actuality, probably never will. Once I mounted the winch up front and got it working I have NEVER removed it! I probably could have saved a lot of hassle by simply mounting the thing to the bumper and leaving it. YMMV. Jeff

The prefered method is to mount it permanently. You will hear from the vocal minority about how much they love their multi-mounts......the poor XXX's don't know any better. :D :D

All of my friends who once had multi-mounts now have a permanent mount. If you do a search you'll come up with some good discussions, we had one not too long ago.

Goatman said:
The prefered method is to mount it permanently. You will hear from the vocal minority about how much they love their multi-mounts......the poor XXX's don't know any better. :D :D

Hey I resemble that remark. I like my Multi-mount, but my wife thinks I'm odd.

really look at both types, alot of good info.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15235&highlight=winch+mount
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15594&highlight=winch+mount
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15406&highlight=winch+mount

Goatman said:
All of my friends who once had multi-mounts now have a permanent mount. If you do a search you'll come up with some good discussions, we had one not too long ago.

Hey, so I'm not counted as one of your friends anymore? :(

(... or do you only count friends West of the Mississippi?)

First time that I really, really, really needed the winch was a situation which could only be handled from the back - convinced me that I did a good thing by having the versatility of a receiver mount.

Besides, it would have undermined the reasons for getting that nifty, custom Utahanite front bumper built! :D

Mike in NJ :patriot:

I too prefer a permanent mount in the front. Most useful in the front, can be mounted closer and higher for better approach angle, having to install a winch on a slope or in the water or mud is a pita, don't have to worry about if its stowed safely.

RR3

Mike in NJ said:
Hey, so I'm not counted as one of your friends anymore? :(

(... or do you only count friends West of the Mississippi?)

First time that I really, really, really needed the winch was a situation which could only be handled from the back - convinced me that I did a good thing by having the versatility of a receiver mount.

Besides, it would have undermined the reasons for getting that nifty, custom Utahanite front bumper built! :D

Figured I might step on my pee pee with that remark, but I was in too much of a hurry to change it. I didn't know you had a winch on a multi-mount. I should re-phrase my comment to none of my regular west coast wheeling buddies have a multi-mount any more. :) :)

Why did you need to winch yourself backwards, were you by yourself? :nono:

Goatman said:
Why did you need to winch yourself backwards, were you by yourself? :nono:

Well, I WAS by myself, but there were "extenuating" circumstances. (a bit long of a story . . . )

My Fire Dept was called out for a missing person search and because our Hummer is too heavy :shhh:, I took RED out along the gas pipeline in the dark. Got about a quarter mile in and noticed that sinking feeling :helpme: - they had worked on the pipeline earlier that year and the ground hadn't settled yet, I ran straight into a bog. I tried to backup quickly to the side, but only got the rear on semi-soft ground, the front sank to the tops of the tires and just over the bumper. Abandoned it for the time being (we found the lady at midnight - :clap: ) - daybreak revealed about 75 yards of the width of the pipeline in front of the truck - all muck. Nobody could get to me from that direction - actually most were amazed the XJ made it as far as it did! And the backend was pointed at heavy woods, bogs and granite boulders. Not to worry - after a delay of a day or so while I got some extra wiring (hadn't set up the rear plug yet) - just stuck the X8000i in the tail - hooked to a tree, popped me right out and I was able to negotiate back to solid ground.

See - Jeff's bumper up front holds the multimount so well you didn't even notice! Then again, you never notice anybody with less than 6" of lift! :laugh3:

Well, I'm glad I'm still on your Eastcoast "A" list anyway. And FWIW, I can understand the value of a permanent mount for your style of rockcrawling out there. For those of us in the moderate range, the multimount system is a good one for all of the reasons stated in this thread and others.

Thanks for all the input, I read all the threads that were referenced and it seems like anything else I will just have make up my own mind.

A couple of things come to mind with the multi mount, with all the stuff I carry anyhow where in the heck I am going to put something that weights 80lbs. It would also be a PITA installing it sometimes or impossible.

I am now leaning towards a winch bumper made for the XJ.

Thanks for all the input

glad we could help you make up your mind. LOL

Hey Mike, although Richard might have problems noticing a rig with less than 6" of lift, I have about 7"!! :) I actually measured it the other day using the "dirty" method and came out with 6 3/4-7 in the front and 7 3/4-8 in the rear. I'll just call it 7. Jeff

Back