• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crown HD Steering Upgrade

Fastdemise

NAXJA Forum User
I've had this on my XJ for about a month or so and have a little bit of a complaint about it. Just brought my XJ in for a alignment cuz shortly after having a alignment done 2 weeks ago I was already getting the shakes and some play in the wheel. Well come to find out one of my adjustment bolts(on the drag link) had stripped itself. Oh, no biggie just slapped a replacement bolt on it but there was still play somewhere. Well come to find out today that the other adjustment sleeve had some serious play on it once it was lifted off the wheels.
Come to find out yet another bolt had stripped itself. Now that I take a look at it closer I noticed that none of the bolts are rated(grade 3,5 or 8) Everything else is perfect no problems but just as a warning if you happen to grab this kit just check your bolts to make sure they are rated for torque so your not shelling out cash for new adjustment sleeves and another alignment.

Sorry for all the words I know your guys hate words.

DSCI0331-1.jpg

Had to grind one bolt off, but it gave no fight since it was soo soft. The other bolt was stripped and I only tightened it with a 15mm wrench. Nothing crazy just snug. Also don't like the rust you can see inside the sleeve. It's only been in use for a couple weeks.
Just wanted people to know. thanks for listening

wow, that sucks. throw a nice moog unit on there and don't look back.

i usually put mine on with never seize on the bolts and adjuster threads, that should act as an assembly lube on those bolts. how tight were you going on those anyway?

yay! pictures!

yeah that is no good, thanks for the advice!

now that i think about it, i stripped the threads on a crown ball joint. probably just coincidence though

Are you sure the clowns at the shop didn't strip them?

They may have stripped the first bolt.(They replaced it when I went in to redo the alignment) But I know that the bolt I had to cut stripped afterward when I was driving as the sleeve starting stripping as well throwing the shakes back in my wheel.

About as much torque as I thought was good enough for a steering component with a 15m wrench. Meaning I wasn't 4ft cheater bar standing on bumper kind of stuff.

Well after hearing some terrible popping noises from the front of my XJ after pulling into a parking spot I checked my steering and low and behold the other sleeve on the drag link has play on both sides of the sleeve leading me to believe that another bolt has stripped it's threads causing play in the sleeve leading to the popping noise of my stripping threads and ruining another sleeve. Purchased the replacement from NAPA with bolts I made sure this time are rated for torque and will be installing tomorrow. Already complained to the online store that sold them sending the picture as well. A $180 steering upgrade, an extra $50 for the additional alignment, and $50 for the x2 replacement sleeves. Getting so angry at myself for not just driving to the JY and pulling the steering off a ZJ for $45 and being done with it. Live and learn. Sorry to rant and rave.

Just wanted to let people know that when you buy a kit of any sort check the bolts for proper application.

heh, you think thats bad? go ahead and buy the rugged ridge kit and report back on that one!

Back