NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 7th, 2017, 08:25
Mostly Harmless

Re: Pre-Production Sneak Peak at Boostwerks Comp Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostwerks.com View Post
Thanks man! I really appreciate your help!

I have plenty in stock with more parts on the way. I should hopefully have them up on the website in the next couple days.

BTW, I also have a new free-spool adapter that will work with most Warn winches now available. It allows you to use any common 3/8" ratchet extension to access the winch through your bumper.

Sweet!!

That looks like a much better idea than trying to weld an extension to the original lever.

PM incoming.

ETA: These are already on the website and ready to be ordered.

Last edited by Anak; December 7th, 2017 at 08:34.
Old December 9th, 2017, 07:41
NAXJA Forum User

Got mine in the mail yesterday! Thanks Bryson. Looks like a very nice part. After I spend the weekend replacing my heater core I will have to get to installing it.

Kevin
Old Yesterday, 19:18
NAXJA Forum User

This looks really awesome
Old Today, 10:44
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomixins View Post
This looks really awesome
Thank you!
www.BoostwerksEngineering.com
Old Today, 13:20
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Next step is to mount the winch in the Comp Mount. I knew I needed to rotate the gear box 180 degrees. Warn has a brief note about this very thing right here:

Link: https://www.warn.com/blog/2011/09/27...b_bumper.shtml

And because links seem to go dead over time, the text of that reads as follows:

To make the clutch handle easily accessible, stand the winch up on end so the housing is straight up in the air. Next, remove the 10 screws from the end housing then you can lift the winch up about a 1/4" and rotate it every two holes to the desired position. Reinstall the screws and you are done.
I tried to rotate my M8000 180 degrees but there was a slight gap (about 1mm) between the ring gear and drum support when the screws aligned. My winch is brand new so the gaskets were not torn. If I took out the screws and turned the ring gear slightly it would seat tightly against the Drum Support but then the screws wouldn't align again.

I completely removed the Ring Gear to see why it wouldn't seat with the Drum Support. What I found was The Ring Gear teeth align to fixed raised teeth in the Drum Support. Noticed the gear teeth next to the ten screw holes adjacent to the Ring Gear had a repeating pattern every two holes.

Then I re-read this from the Warn web site:
To make the clutch handle easily accessible, stand the winch up on end so the housing is straight up in the air. Next, remove the 10 screws from the end housing then you can lift the winch up about a 1/4" and rotate it every two holes to the desired position. Reinstall the screws and you are done.

Therefore the Free-spool lever can be turned every 72 degrees which doesn't compute to 180 degrees. Positions would be, 0, 72, 144, 216, & 288 degrees.I wrote Warn Industries to ask what specific damage could result if I left it at 180 degree but sealed the gap.

Hear is the reply:
"I cannot recommend leaving a gap there sir. If rotation of the winch housing is needed to fit in a particular bumper then you have the option of every other hole. It would also viod the warranty if the winch were to malfunction." MK

Of course Warn took the easy route answering my question but those teeth in the Drum Support were engineered to carry the rotational load not the ten screws.

Curious if anyone has had any issues with winch damage or water infiltration clocking 180 degrees not every 72 Degrees (star pattern).

Just to be clear. I really like the design of the comp mount and mounting the winch in the same direction of the pull. Winch free-spool clocking to 180 degrees isn't a game changer for me. I'm just making sure I don't cause a problem down the road when I need to rely on the winch.
Old Today, 13:45
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Did you try it like this? ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzTIV7Hu1jc

In other words, just rotating the very end housing.
www.BoostwerksEngineering.com

Last edited by Boostwerks.com; Today at 13:53.
Old Today, 16:43
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostwerks.com View Post
Did you try it like this? ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzTIV7Hu1jc

In other words, just rotating the very end housing.
Yes, I tried that first. Unfortunately the video doesn't show a close up of the End Housing matched to the Ring Gear. One of ANAKs pictures does even with the broken seal one can see the gap. It's subtle but there.

The End housing has the same raised teeth that match lock into the Ring Gear, every other tooth.

I'm trying to think through why the winch would be engineered to lock the Ring Gear to the End Housing and Drum Support without depending on the screws for rotational torque. Sure the gap has to be filled to keep grease in and water out but is there really that much torque on it.

I suppose one could re-drill the Ring Gear or drill and tap the Drum Support. Warn probably wouldn't warranty if it ever broke.

Last edited by Greenz; Today at 16:49.
Old Today, 19:27
Mostly Harmless

Now that I have the new selector piece from Bryson (absolutely beautiful machining btw) that winch is back up on my priority list.

I will clean everything up inside and see what there is to see with the aligning of all the important bits inside.

That gap you see in that picture is not entirely a conclusion. Knowing that I was waiting on new gaskets I did not bother to do anything about the old ones. In some places the gasket stuck to one side, in others it stuck to the other side. What you see is the thickness of two layers of gasket in a place where there is no gasket at all. At the time I was more concerned with macro level fitment issues.