• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

unibody strengtheners/use what when?

I don't know if this is what you mean, but I like the rock slider / unibody brace combo here http://www.detoursusa.com/xjrokslyders.php

I've just been shopping for rock rails/sliders and figure this one (with the brace) is pretty solid.

You can also just buy the unibody brace.

...... just from what I read searching around, people seem to like them (although costly)

Check THIS product out from TNT Customs. I wish that would have been around before I plated my frame.

-Mike

Mike L said:
Check THIS product out from TNT Customs. I wish that would have been around before I plated my frame.

-Mike

I am glad they came out with it BEFORE i got around to plating mine. HMM finally the cold michigan winter actually saved me some time and agravation on this one. Looks like a winner to me, fair price even. Does anyone here have them yet ?

What are you trying to accomplish?

These frame sleeves will help protect the frame, but won't help too much as far as the frame flexing torsionally.

XJZ said:

These frame sleeves will help protect the frame, but won't help too much as far as the frame flexing torsionally.

Really? Care to define too much?

XJZ said:

care to elaborate.....

I think he means that even with the braces, unless the two framerails are tied together with extra crossmembers, they will still flex independent of each other.
Lateral bracing running between the two framerails would exponentially amplify the effect of this product.

wrecklaw71 said:
most of the ones i have seen connect the front lower control arm frame bracket to the front rear leaf spring hangar bracket

He means side to side like the transmission crossmember. If you add a couple more braces from side to side that would also help stiffen up the unibody. If you could build a full length flat belly skid that would really stiffen it up. I have seen it done but it is hard to get every thing tucked up in there. To do so means either running no cat/muffler or building some kind of box in the sheetmetal so they can sit higher. JM2C.

-Mike

XJZ said:

x2, until XJEEPER and others can offer something more than rhetoric to prove you wrong.

The floor pan is already the strongest side of the XJ's torsion box. An X or shear panel behind the rear seat along with reinforcment around the A pillar-roof intersection and other corners in the door openings would do more to stiffen up the chassis

MaXJohnson said:
x2, until XJEEPER and others can offer something more than rhetoric to prove you wrong.

The floor pan is already the strongest side of the XJ's torsion box. An X or shear panel behind the rear seat along with reinforcment around the A pillar-roof intersection and other corners in the door openings would do more to stiffen up the chassis

I was told sleeving the frame accomplished nothing really other than adding weight. I can understand plating the bottom so it doesn't get to bashed up on rocks but doing the whole outside isn't truly necessary. If you really want to strengthen the unibody then add a cage.

-Mike

What I've done (and it FEELS like it stiffened the body up) is:

rock rails, tied to the frame rail and pinch seam
RE drop brackets and braces; ties the LCA mount to the crossmember
HD front and rear bumpers, Mopar hitch in rear, both tied to "frame"
C-ROK plate at the steering box, and a MORE steering brace to the other side
RE HD trackbar/mount, with the optional brace to the other side

Not quite a cage, but it seems to be effective in combination...

MaXJohnson said:

Wasn't trying to prove anyone wrong....unwad yer undies Max. I've yet to armor my unirails and I"m interested in what'll give me the most bang for my efforts. What prompted my question was all the feedback I've heard/read from those that have added armor to their rails or are selling uni-rail armor. All claim it adds rigidity to the rig.

formatt said:
right here... I'm also running the TnT XJLA setup with crossmember.

coming from experience with this setup, it DOES help stiffen everything up. it's like night & day.

Ditto. I am running TnT stiffeners along with a rigid front bumper, and the combination totally changed the road handling on my rig...

We've had nothing but positive feed-back from Detours Uni-Body Stiffy
System with Slyderz from our customers. Its a no-joke system. Theres plenty
of critics out there, fabbers doin their own thing and what not, thats cool.

What we offer is a fabricated "package", nothing else to buy, simple install,
effective on the trail and prolongs the life of your XJ. Our weld-on version is
even tranferable if so desired, simple hole saw removes welded areas. A
number of our customers have based cages off our system, through the floor
and on to our outriggers tying them both together, afterall....XJ floors are
16 gage steel, it gets its strength from being bent and formed.

As far as pricing goes, putting together the most inexpensive stiffner and
the most inexpensive slider puts you in the same price bracket, with alot
more labor and install time for the consumer with "this oughta work" results.

Choice is up to the consumer, bottom line, what suits them best........

Back