• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rusty bumper prep

XJSpencer

NAXJA Member #1400
I have a Tomken Bumper with some pretty ugly surface rust. I hit ti with a brass wire wheel and it seems to come clean. How should I be doing this to make it faster and get the best rattle can job when I'm done? I have no clue although I did paint my Crok frame brace.

Thanks.

use sand paper on a grinder or other agressive sander. a steel wire wheel will be much more agressive than the brass one removing rust faster.
get the surface nice and clean and paint.

Will a steel wire wheel scratch or remove too much material? I like the wire wheels as they get into odd spaces better. I guess the sand paper makes sense for big flat areas. It should be much faster also.

Any other suggestions?

No sandblasting shops in Utah Co? A bumper usually runs about $25 to blast, depending on the complexity.....good money spent.

MMmmmm. Good idea. I have abuddy who has a 20 ft oven also. I bet he's got a sandblaster.

Thanks.

The only way to get a good clean job inside and out is to blast it!
Then self etiching primer them maybe some dupicolor truck bed paint.
It'll look like new with very little effort, if you sandblast it !
Geno

My friend the rod iron rail guy said he'd do it and coat it for about $50. I've seen his work on stuff I've built. I'm excited to get it back tomorrow.

The pics aren't the greatest. If it looks smudged, it is.

Before
A2003_0127009.jpg

After
2006_0302001.jpg

2006_0302005.jpg

Back