• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Troubleshoot this...(long)

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
1990 still won't start. Just cranks and cranks

Here is what I have done:

New thermostat
New overflow reservoir
New battery
New cables
New plugs
New wires
New CPS
New distributor
New fuel injectors
New fuel pressure regulator
New fuel pump
New fuel filter
New air filter
New/different (boneyard) throttle body (off running 1987 Waggy)
New/different (see above) IAC, TPS, and MAP sensor

Tested my fuel pressure (the dealership said my pressure wasn't accurate). In 10 tests I read 5 36s, 3 37s, and 2 38s. That tells me that my fuel pressure is a-ok.

The plugs are brand new. The truck has not run since the were put in. I pulled one the other day and it was "sooty," I assume from turning the truck over and over trying to get it to start. There was no oil on the plugs, just carbon.

I know the truck tended to run a little rich in the past. I also have smelled a little fuel out of the oil filler cap on the valve cover.

I have not tested the spark plugs for spark yet, so that will be forth coming, but I can't imagine that is it.

How can I test that it is getting the air that it needs? When I installed the TPS on the throttle body, how do I determine exactly where it needs to be placed? I just put it on, but of course it can be adjusted by loosening the torx and moving it slightly right or left...

I have followed every vacuum line and there is no violations anywhere.

I even put in a brand new headliner...just to appease the Jeep gods...It got me nowhere..

HELP

The first thing you must test in a no start situation is spark in the cables, then fuel pressure, if you don´t get spark, check for voltage at coil, ground connection, and if you already change everything else, check for ECU failure.

Good Luck

It didn't run at all when I bought it.

It ran when I test drove it. When I went to buy it, it wasn't running. I just figured that since the truck sat for about a year and only ran 100 miles, that it was just bad gas. It hasn't run since the time I test drove it.

this is completely off topic, but how much did you buy this jeep for? you seem to have spent a shitload of cash on it so far.

I really wish I knew the answer you need. Hopefully someone will give it to you soon.

I paid $1000...it is as straight and clean as can be, and it came fully armored.

I have spent about $600 on it since. I did all the work on it myself, except the distributior and the CPS.

Even if I spend another $400 and get it running, I will have a great builder for 2 grand....besides, part of the experience is wrenching. Due to this truck, I have learned how to do fuel pumps, fuel injectors, and a lot more.

I learned more about this truck and engine in 3 months of tinkering than I have on my 85 in 5 years of ownership.

There is something to be said about that.

You did not mention a new/different coil. I will bet you don't have a spark... and it aint the plugs !! Good Luck Bill-93XJ

Back