• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drive train noise, 87 4x4, stock XJ

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
I have isolated my dry bearing noise sound down. I only here it at about 10-20 mph, in first-second gear at about 2/3rds of WOT. Never hear it any other time.

Front and rear drive shaft u-joints are solid, and not the source, and the front axle u-joints feel solid.

I have a tiny bit of looseness, slop side to side, but no fluid leaks yet in the rear driveshaft tail cone of the NP-242 transfer case where the output shaft and drive shaft connect. The case was filled 12 months ago when I replaced the AW4.

Could this noise be anything else but the slop in that location?

Could it possibly be the dual cardan center pin/bearing? You'll have to disassemble the assembly to inspect it.

Could it possibly be the dual cardan center pin/bearing? You'll have to disassemble the assembly to inspect it.

If you are referring to the one on the front drive shaft (?), I had a drive shaft specialty shop replace and balance it about 18 months, 8000 miles ago.

Back