• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vibration noise on decelaeratio and downhill in drive coming from rear end.

Bathgate

NAXJA Forum User
My son broke the rear yoke and u-joint dropshifting. We replaced the yoke and the seal at the t-cAse output (it broke too) and put a new u-joint. Now "Vibration noise on decelaeratio and downhill in drive coming from rear end. " he's 18 and I was involved in everything exept the u-joint. He did that while I was at work. It's stock and never did this before. The noise sounds like what some older cars sounded like in reverse.

Possible wear/damage to the rear axle's pinion bearings.

maybe one of the needles fell over/out from the u-joint? If he managed to get it together like that, it'd make some hellacious vibes-- possibly more-so on deceleration??

maybe one of the needles fell over/out from the u-joint? If he managed to get it together like that, it'd make some hellacious vibes-- possibly more-so on deceleration??

Good point, although I'm not sure he could have gotten the cap on enough to button things up with a needle laying over. Of course YOUTH and a BFH can accomplish many things. If that happened, wouldn't the problem exist on acceleration as well as coast?

Is there a diagnostic procedure. The u-joints look dry and rusty already but he says that he fully greased them. Maybe I should see if it's hot after a drive?

Good point, although I'm not sure he could have gotten the cap on enough to button things up with a needle laying over. Of course YOUTH and a BFH can accomplish many things. If that happened, wouldn't the problem exist on acceleration as well as coast?

in theory, you'd have vibes both directions, but it may be amplified by the change in direction-- just a thought.

I'd think the two caps pressed into the shaft would be tough to fit with the needle in there, but the two bolt on ends at the yolk (rear joint) might fit if the needle were stuck in the grease channels of the cross-- still just a thought....

Yeah, it definitely could happen--NOT THAT I EVER DROPPED A NEEDLE AND STUBBORNLY TRIED TO FORCE IT TOGETHER! :anon:

Back