• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix to HO swap...please help!

swommack2

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I've searched, read, and researched for more than 2 weeks and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I've got an '88 XJ Limited 4x4 with 4.0L inline 6, AX4 tranny, and NP242 transfer case. Long story short, the head gasket is blown. I picked up a '96 complete drivetrain for a pretty good price. The engine wiring harness and ECU are included. I want to do a complete swap to have every benefit from the HO and newer AW4 and NP231. Everything I've read says to use parts from this and the sensors and intake manifold from my 88. But that's not gonna give the full benefits of the HO...as I understand it. Is it possible to swap everything into my rig, including wiring harness and ECU? I was also thinking of swap in the dash harness and instrument cluster as well as the TCU from the donor (if it's needed).
Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give as much info as possible. As it stands, my rig has ALOT of upgrades including a brand new TrailMaster 4.5" lift with full leaf springs, 33" Dick Cepek MT, and winch bumper, front and back,just to mention a few. I've also demolished the interior and upgraded to WJ seats. The backs seats and all carpet has been removed to do a custom build for camping/bug out buggy set up. This is my first Jeep and I fell head over heals in love the first time I laid eyes on her. Can anyone help me accomplish my goals or will I be paving new roads for future Jeepers that have an obsession with their XJ?

Moved it for your to the correct forum.

mac 'will get more attention here' gyvr

This should be your starting point

http://cruiser54.com/

A full swap can be done but it's a lot of work. Personally I'd do the simple swap as outlined by cruiser keeping most your Renix parts and swapping some HO stuff. Then upgrade to an open cooling system and move on.

I think the person you really need to talk to is Souske. He has done pretty much exactly what you are looking at doing: '96 everything into a Renix XJ (I am not sure of the exact year). I know that he even went as far as swapping the steering columns. I wouldn't be surprised if that is necessary for the sake of something like cruise control.

Be advised that the '96 has a fairly unique fuel system. There is no return line, and the regulator is in the steel tank. If you still have the chance to get it you are probably going to want the '96 fuel sending unit/pump assembly.

I think the person you really need to talk to is Souske. He has done pretty much exactly what you are looking at doing: '96 everything into a Renix XJ (I am not sure of the exact year). I know that he even went as far as swapping the steering columns. I wouldn't be surprised if that is necessary for the sake of something like cruise control.

Be advised that the '96 has a fairly unique fuel system. There is no return line, and the regulator is in the steel tank. If you still have the chance to get it you are probably going to want the '96 fuel sending unit/pump assembly.
IIRC, he had wrecked his 96 and found the 87 chassis. Having everything to swap and the knowledge is necessary.
I do not know the actual condition, powertrain or not it had.

After putting two push rods through the corresponding rocker arms in my 89 limited 4.0l I picked but a 95 h.o on a buddy deal dirty cheap.
H.o. parts I used were
Long bock
Intake and exhaust manifolds
Exhaust down pipe
Throttle body w/ IAC sensor
Throttle cable bracket
Trottle cable and gas pedal (looks the same as renix just different enough not to work)
Fuel lines from tank to rail.

Renix parts used
Tps (had to adapt for h.o TB cost $3 over 145 for hesco adaptor)
Disturbor
Power steering pump and brackets
Atl and bracket
Flywheel (since I use stock trans)
Starter
And sensors
It was plug and play after swapping the few parts

Ive done it. full 96 drivetrain into a stripped 87.
My method was to use a notebook, and blue tape to label everything before it came out.
No portion is particularly hard, just time consuming. It took me about 3 months of nights and weekends to complete the swap.
Not sure if you have to get state approval in texas or not.

If you have any specific questions, hit me up.

Mechanical vs digital instrument cluster? Years ?

I have a 91 xj I thought the speedometer was mechanical. It is not. I was going to use all auto meter gauges in a custom built cluster. All I wanted from the stock cluster was the speedometer. It would have been easier if it were machanical. Can I isolate the speedo inputs and which wires do this, and if I do away with all other connections will rig run?

Back