• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will not stay running (not normal running issue)

bigbadwolf54

NAXJA Forum User
My 91 xj (has a 99 motor in it) wont stay running as the title says. It starts up maybe every 5th time or so. When it does start it might run for 2 seconds or 15 minutes, but then will die whenever i hit a turn signal or roll down a window. I just put a Exide Orbital battery in it. When I put the battery in I hooked up my winch at the same time. I tried the main body ground and I had to put a new starter in it anyway so i know it isnt shorting out there. The day after I put the battery in for some reason the relays for the power locks blew. Does anyone have any idea of what this could be?
Thanks,
Ben

A short! Somewhere! It's obviously in the ignition circuit! Just start testing wires! Check continuity to ground all your wires and make sure ground is SUPPOSED to be there.

ok i hadnt thought of that. you know how when u get pissed aty something you dont think right? thats how it is right now. but why would the power lock relay blow?

Not sure about the door lock relays... It takes a dead short to blow a relay tho... they are pretty tough. Go by the parts store and pick up a chiltons or haynes manual. The door lock relay wiring diagram is on page 12-26 i think.

i hvae both fsm and the clintons and hyanes. Do you think it could be the door wiring that is messing everything else up? My doors have been made removable.

Back