• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is about the average price to have a 4.0 rebuilt and a AW4 rebuilt?

newjeepowner

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering how expensive it costs to have a 4.0 rebuilt and how much it cost on average to have a AW4 rebuilt. Not that mine needs it right now. I was just wondering.

newjeepowner said:
Just wondering how expensive it costs to have a 4.0 rebuilt and how much it cost on average to have a AW4 rebuilt. Not that mine needs it right now. I was just wondering.

average on a 4.0 would run about $1100.00 give or take...an AW4..i'm guessing here...about $850.00

Out here in the Desert or is it Deseret, hmm, :confused1

anyway, R&R + rebuild is close to 2K for the 4.0, 2500$ if you want it pepped up a bit.

the AW4, have no idea! my guess is going to be about the same 18-22 hundred. but that is a guess.

rebuild prices seem to vary a lot regionally and shop to shop. your best estimates would come from calling local machine shops. Also, how much are you willing to do yourself, or do you just want to drop off the Jeep and pick it up?

And I wouldn't bother rebuilding the AW4, they don't seem to take well to rebuilds, even done professionally. It will be cheaper and last longer to find a low mileage used unit.

Why for are you thinking of this?

The AW4 is a sturdy slushbox - the only one I've "failed" is the one that lost three bellhousing bolts (no, I don't know how it happened...) and the fourth one loosened. The input shaft and crankshaft were no longer coaxial, and the damn thing just seized up. I ended up cutting it apart - but most of the rest of the internals, and all the clutches, were just fine! The only real problem was that the forward planetary gearset had jammed.

Rebuild? I've rebuilt one for my wife's 89 Limited, and that was about 50K ago. There are a couple oddball tools you'll need, but they can be made with minimal effort and a little creativity. I think the "special tools" I ended up needing would have cost me about $30 all up - but I had most of the stock handy...

Unless you have serious blowby or compression loss, it's probably not even worth thinking about rebuilding the AMC242 - unless you plan to stroke it. Considering a stroker can be done with all OEMR parts (258 crank and rods, the rest is 242 stuff,) there should be no major longevity issues or parts fitment questions. If you're going to build it, stroke it and get extra low-end power.

I think it cost me about $300 to rebuild that AW4 a few years ago, and I haven't gotten numbers you can use on the engine yet (my prices would mean little anyhow - I get jobber on damn near everything, and do damn near all of my own labour... I'm also a firm believer in overkill...)

5-90

I asked these questions 10 years ago to some jeepers about my 1988 that was getting old @ 8 yrs of age and 100,000 miles..

10 years and 80,000 miles later... I know that It still aint anywhere near needed but i would replace the AW-4 with another AW-4 from a yard before I rebuilt it

I have no idea on a 4.0 rebuild but I had my AW4 rebuilt about 2 years back, it cost me $1500 but that was with them removing and installing it too. I think it usually cuts off a few hundred if you take it to them. I've never been thrilled with the way it was rebuilt but it still gets the job done. A lot of people say AW4s don't take to rebuilding very well.

Back